Ick I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Omg I finally found the missing pleco, it was in my filter. I was reading how that can make their way in there but I have no idea how anyway ya he was in there just swimming around. So happy he is not dead. ?

Haha yah those guys are adventurous, mine has gotten lodged on in air tube, had to rescue it, good you found the lil fella! image-2988343449.jpg

So about this copper thing should I try it or should I stick with the ick guard. My fish are all pretty tough the tetras and bn pleco would it hurt any of them. And I am serious about the pennies. Would it work.

I don't know enough about the copper thing, that's pip's deal. I'm pretty sure pennies are not made with copper anymore,besides your tanks not a fountain so lets not go throwing change in it..do a little research perhaps? Google ich treatments, I've already weighed in with how did approach it w heat and salt, I know people who have used the meds successfully as well..

The copper treatment I use is designed for marine aquaria, but we use it in freshwater at a rate of 10ml per 90 litre (2 teaspoons per 20 gallons approx.) It contains copper sulphate, formaldehyde and malachite green. The malachite and formalin also have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties when used together, so you are covering all bases here. IMPORTANT: we do not treat as per a marine system, which means adding a dose on set days over a period of about a week. We add a single dose, then treat a week later IF we need to.

So far, this dose has seen off ich in systems containing many different species and I have even treated clown loach.... although I would not recommend this as they are very sensitive to copper (I kept a close eye on them!)

I don't know if you have a similar product in the States.

EDIT: glad you found your plec :D

Ok I started the procedure and so far it is going well meaning none of my fish have died. I will continue, how long do u think it will take before they are cured?

Hi, we did have tetras, and if you don't treat them quickly, they will die. Please find the pleco asap, and use wunder tonic for tail/fin rot etc.
It will turn the water blue, but don't panic. 7 days later your fishes will be fine.

We've had this happen several times with our tetras, but wunder tonic really helps, but make sure that you have removed the activated carbon if any.

The only reason we need to remove activated carbon, is that activated carbon will neutralise the medication and render it ineffective.

A good chance that this is Ich as it often manifests first on the fins of the fish.

Raise the temperature gradually in the tank to 80F if you can and treat with an Ich medication.

You need to go a heck of a lot higher than 80F to combat ich.

OP can you get a more accurate, clear picture of one of the fish that supposedly has Ich? It might not be ich at all.

Also please list every fish you have in your tank. If the fish can tolerate it, raising the temp into the high 80s is the easiest ich cure there is.

You need to go a heck of a lot higher than 80F to combat ich.

OP can you get a more accurate, clear picture of one of the fish that supposedly has Ich? It might not be ich at all.

Also please list every fish you have in your tank. If the fish can tolerate it, raising the temp into the high 80s is the easiest ich cure there is.

Yeah, sorry.... should have said 86 !!

the copper treatment i use is designed for marine aquaria, but we use it in freshwater at a rate of 10ml per 90 litre (2 teaspoons per 20 gallons approx.) it contains copper sulphate, formaldehyde and malachite green. The malachite and formalin also have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties when used together, so you are covering all bases here. Important: We do not treat as per a marine system, which means adding a dose on set days over a period of about a week. We add a single dose, then treat a week later if we need to.

So far, this dose has seen off ich in systems containing many different species and i have even treated clown loach.... Although i would not recommend this as they are very sensitive to copper (i kept a close eye on them!)

i don't know if you have a similar product in the states.

Edit: Glad you found your plec :d

correction - if using cuprazin in freshwater, it is 1ml per 90 litres. The 0 is too close to the 1 on a numerical keypad!

All I have are the two plecos and the 9 tetras. I have another concern one of my tetras is swimming vertical and has an enlarged belly. Idk if it is another parasite that infected it while I was treating the ick and just got worse with stress. Regardless I am a little concerned. Here are some more picks you can see it clearly on the fins and I don't know if you can tell the third pick is the tetra with the enlarged belly. So thought concerns pleas let me know.

Attachments

• image-4006007349.jpg
    image-4006007349.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1335317500.jpg
    image-1335317500.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image-4134541608.jpg
    image-4134541608.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 52
The ick has run its corse an detached itself from my fish I did a 25% water change put the medicine in the tank and I read that garlic helps so I put some minced garlic in there to so we will see but I am confident it is taken care of. I will do another 25% water change tomorrow to clean up the garlic and some other things and put more medicine in. You are supposed to continue the process for like two weeks for good measure. Since I took out my carbon it has been hard to maintain a clean tank but I have managed more or less.

Back
Top Bottom