Ick in tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my tank and noticed some streaks on the glass that I didn't see before...I rinsed and wiped it out good I thought..should I be ok the tank had a freshwater oscar in it before that had ick and was treated with maracide but died anyways.. I know I'll be ok with the chemical..but what about the ick? I was confused with the waiting for the ick to cycle through..is it ok to go through a cycle in a tank that has had ick? I mean it will be a month before I put anything in it anyways, right?

I mean I guess I can't really worry bout it now.. I'm already setup.. guess I'm just gettin the after setup jitters...lol

I hope someone can chime in here, as I don't think it's a good idea to use a maracide treated tank (which contains malachite green) in a saltwater tank, unless you never ever plan to keep corals or other inverts.

I can't remember if malachite green is a copper based med. Can anyone remember?

I called a couple places in ATL. and they all tell me that it should be ok..since it's not copper based medicine.. he just said to wipe it out good with a paper towel and water and maybe a little chlorine.. and then rinse it good...

FW ich and SW ich are caused by two completely different organisms.

To use the tank only may be ok, but you'll need to ditch anything that may contain traces of the medicine: rock, sand, decorations, etc.

Even if it is copper - does everyone just ASSUME that copper is a long-term contaminant, or has it been conclusively docmumented to have been adsorbed onto glass, silicone, or the thank bottom.

It just seems hard for me to believe that a tank can be rendered useless by the past use of copper, but I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Does anyone have a DOCUMENTED source for this?

Back
Top Bottom