ID a type of catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halthe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, though I've been reading through the posts for the past week just to familiarize myself with the site.

I was hoping that someone might help me identify the type of catfish (i think) that I have in my cichlid tank. I inherited him with a 35 gallon tank almost 2 years ago.

He is about the size and shape of a golf ball with stubby barbells and a little tail off his body. He doesn't do much swimming around - he tends to wedge himself in or under any ornament to get away from the light. He is all black. I've tried to get a good picture, but can't seem to get a good angle right now... if he moves out from his current spot, I'll try to get another picture.

Thanks!:invasion:

Attachments

• 104_0036.jpg
    104_0036.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 62
try and get a better picture... i cant even tell where it could be in that one

Yah.. the picture sucks. He's hiding at the top of the ruins inside them. He just never moves. I'll see what I can do to get a better picture.

Welcome to AA! When you say barbels, where are they coming out of? His snout? If so he would be an ancistrus.

Welcome to AA! When you say barbels, where are they coming out of? His snout? If so he would be an ancistrus.

I checked some photos of the ancistrus and definitely not him. He's doesn't have a sucker mouth... I really need to get a better picture.

Here's some more pictures. He's the black thing in the background of the picture with whitish spots and streaks

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 104_0046.jpg
    104_0046.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 104_0040.jpg
    104_0040.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 55
could it possibly be a Synodontis? very hard to tell from the pics, but what you described sounds like a synodontis angelicus (i think i spelled it right)... google that and see if it looks similar

I upended the ornament that he is wedged in and my Chocolate cichlid decided to squeeze himself in there for a bit. Poor guy, too bad i'm not planning on leaving it like that.

Attachments

• 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 55
could it possibly be a Synodontis? very hard to tell from the pics, but what you described sounds like a synodontis angelicus (i think i spelled it right)... google that and see if it looks similar

I'm not sure. The pictures i see online just seem so elongated compared to the little golf ball that I have. Although, I'd have to say the synodontis angelicus looked the closest to him that I've seen yet! :D

Big Jim, You get the prize!!!!

That is exactly what it is, right down to the clicking/talking that he does when he is lifted outta the tank!

Thanks - I've been wondering for almost two years what exactly he was!:biglol:

Sweet! What did I win? :D

I've got a striped raphael that's been in my tanks for 15+ years, so I've got an advantage over most people on knowing what they look like. My fish hides when the lights are on and gets himself into tight little crevices like the one in your pictures.

Two tips:

- Watch the tank about an hour after the lights go out. That's when you'll see your raphael in action.

- Never try to catch your raphael with a net. Always use a cup. If you use the net, you'll end up with a really cranky, possibly damaged fish and a ripped net.

Sweet! What did I win? :D

The respect of all your peers? :p

Two tips:

- Watch the tank about an hour after the lights go out. That's when you'll see your raphael in action.

- Never try to catch your raphael with a net. Always use a cup. If you use the net, you'll end up with a really cranky, possibly damaged fish and a ripped net

I've seen him very infrequently, I'll have to keep a closer eye when the lights go out!

I've netted him before, luckily we all survived the ordeal with no issues, but I'll be sure to 'cup' him next time!

I've seen him very infrequently, I'll have to keep a closer eye when the lights go out!

It's easy to miss him. When I first got mine, I didn't see him for two years. I figured he had died and disappeared since he was about an inch long when I got him. He popped up when I was breaking down the tank to upgrade to a bigger one.

Worst thing to ever happen to him was when I was switching out ornaments and didn't realize that he was actually attached to it! I was cleaning it (yes, I even was rinsing it off with straight tap water :( ) and lo and behold, I heard him clicking.

Believe it or not, no harm came to him! I couldn't believe it. He's pretty hardy.

Back
Top Bottom