ID My New Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally added a few of my first frags thanks to a local guy. He gave me a couple I'm not completely sure I'm competent to have yet (I do have plenty of light though) and wanted some help ID'ing them. I'm sure they are simple, but I just know little about coral ID's at this point in my reef infancy.

The first is a combo rock that has polyps, mushrooms (not pictured), a leather, and what appears to be some sort of SPS. The SPS under the leather is what I'm trying to ID. Also, how is growing in shadow of the leather? He said it has been growing just fine on the substrate of his tank. Shouldn't it be up top?

leather-sps.jpg

Next is another SPS he gave me. I love it but have no idea what it is.

green.jpg

They look like zoanthids to me, but I have a hard time telling the difference between zoanthids and majano anemone. I know the zoanthids are fine, but the majano's you don't want. I think the biggest way to tell them apart is if they move in the tank. Majano's will move (as its an anemone) where as the zoanthids will stay in it's place as it is a form of coral. But let's wait to see what the experts say.

Hope I'm talking about the same thing your asking. If not sorry. :)

1st one looks like a poccilopora. It needs good, strong lighting. Looks like the underside is bleaching a little, which may be from lack of light.

2nd looks like an encrusting montipora.

sorry - Guess I just showed my IQ level when it comes to SW.....LOL

No harm, no foul:D I appreciate the help all the same.

On the poccilopora, should I pull the rock its on and break that small tip of rock it's attached to off? Then place it up top.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. The leather and zoa's are low light corals and the pocci is a high light.

That;s what I thought. Thank you very much.

Will the leather, zoas, and mushrooms get along on the same rock or should I relocate (I know this is the ID forum, but thought I'd go ahead and ask here since we were on the subject...LOL).

Back
Top Bottom