Idea on how to stock my 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TangoTank said:
If the tank is completely cycled already, could you add all those fish at once? Or for "territory" reason, you'd add them a species at a time?

Not for territory reasons per say but to let beneficial bacteria adjust
However you should add aggressive species last so peaceful species are establihed

emerald76 said:
Not for territory reasons per say but to let beneficial bacteria adjust
However you should add aggressive species last so peaceful species are establihed

Thanks for your reply!! I'm sorry, I have another question... How far apart do you introduce the species for establishment reasons?

My tank will be cycled via Fishless Cycle at 4ppm ammonia & I thought that meant I could fully stock it at once as far as the amount of beneficial bacteria that will be built up. I don't want my surplus BB to "starve" waiting for the next set of fish, but I do want peace in my community ;o)

No, it wouldn't be a good idea to add them all at once. It's best to add fish in small groups and wait a while in between each one if you want to avoid throwing the tank into a mini-cycle. These things can sneak up on you so I would recommend waiting about 10 days. Unfortunately I can't say for sure how much you could stock based on how quick the ammo is currently being eaten. I tried to list them mostly based on sensitivity, but also considering territorial behavior. In this case the two most sensitive are also the most territorial, the ram and gourami.

6 neon tetra/black skirt, 1 honey gourami 4-6 Cory cats.

siva said:
No, it wouldn't be a good idea to add them all at once. It's best to add fish in small groups and wait a while in between each one if you want to avoid throwing the tank into a mini-cycle. These things can sneak up on you so I would recommend waiting about 10 days. Unfortunately I can't say for sure how much you could stock based on how quick the ammo is currently being eaten. I tried to list them mostly based on sensitivity, but also considering territorial behavior. In this case the two most sensitive are also the most territorial, the ram and gourami.

Thanks for everybody's replies! I've semi-hijacked this thread but my questions also pertain to the OP except I'm 15 high & she's 20 high. I'm going w/ a male Betta as my centerpiece (as long as he* works out) & less number of fish & less species for my tank but we've got similar likes! Neat, I think ;o)

Brox said:
6 neon tetra/black skirt, 1 honey gourami 4-6 Cory cats.

Six cories or more and you can't have he black skirts but the neons will be fine

List is great. Well balanced community. Go ahead and up the cories to 6. The smaller species you'll be looking for especially prefer larger groups, and w/o the khulis you'll have room for them. Adding a ram is fine as well.

What filtration are you using?

I'd do rasboras first, 2nd cories, 3rd neons, 4th ram, last gourami.

Awesome! Thank you very much.

I have a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 150. I've actually been wondering if this will be ok and if I should consider maybe adding some form of aerator. When we got the tank we were debating between 2 and the guy at the store said this filter was better but you never know. I've never used a biowheel before I'd always had charcoal filters so it's sort of new to me.

Thanks for everybody's replies! I've semi-hijacked this thread but my questions also pertain to the OP except I'm 15 high & she's 20 high. I'm going w/ a male Betta as my centerpiece (as long as he* works out) & less number of fish & less species for my tank but we've got similar likes! Neat, I think ;o)
lol, no problem really. It all sort of verifies my own thoughts.

Awesome! Thank you very much.

I have a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 150. I've actually been wondering if this will be ok and if I should consider maybe adding some form of aerator. When we got the tank we were debating between 2 and the guy at the store said this filter was better but you never know. I've never used a biowheel before I'd always had charcoal filters so it's sort of new to me.

You could add a second filter. It looks like yours is rated for 20-30 gal tanks which is barely just enough. Ideally you want double the filtration for your size tank.

Also just wondering, how did you cycle the tank? If you're just letting it run without adding an ammonia source I'm afraid that isn't cycling. Just double-checking :)

You could add a second filter. It looks like yours is rated for 20-30 gal tanks which is barely just enough. Ideally you want double the filtration for your size tank.

Also just wondering, how did you cycle the tank? If you're just letting it run without adding an ammonia source I'm afraid that isn't cycling. Just double-checking :)

oh no, lol, I know better than that. lol. We(although I say that lightly as my husband mostly handeld the cycle :oops: he's just got such a better head/understanding for these things.. or maybe it's his patience?) used the article on here. ahh, tips and tricks for a fast fish cycle? Something like that. Had it bookmarked for constant reference.

for a second filter, is it ok to just add that down the road, say in a week(or even when we buy the first batch) or should we get it before the fish and let it build up bacteria on it first?

oh no, lol, I know better than that. lol. We(although I say that lightly as my husband mostly handeld the cycle :oops: he's just got such a better head/understanding for these things.. or maybe it's his patience?) used the article on here. ahh, tips and tricks for a fast fish cycle? Something like that. Had it bookmarked for constant reference.

for a second filter, is it ok to just add that down the road, say in a week(or even when we buy the first batch) or should we get it before the fish and let it build up bacteria on it first?

Great! You have it all covered!

You can add a second filter at any time, no need to do it now.

Back
Top Bottom