Ideal Temperature for Inverts & Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im new to hobby and when started my temp was 78 in the winter, now its summer and I added new 135w lights my temp rose to 82. \
What is the ideal temp to house fish and Inverts(Zoa's & urchins)
Im looking at maybe getting a Chiller, is it needed?

I think 78/79 is ideal. Maybe you can buy a cheap clip-on light from Walmart for ten bucks and run it across the top of your water? That should drop it a degree or two. 82 is a little too high. But more important are the temperature swings at the coolest point at night and the hottest part of the day. You don't want too much of a temperature swing. My tank is 80 in the day. I think if you can get it down to 80 (or even 81), you won't need a chiller.

Last edited:
boardsurfer said:
I think 78/79 is ideal. Maybe you can buy a cheap clip-on light from Walmart for ten bucks and run it across the top of your water? That should drop it a degree or two. 82 is a little too high. But more important are the temperature swings at the coolest point at night and the hottest part of the day. You don't want too much of a temperature swing. My tank is 80 in the day. I think if you can get it down to 80 (or even 81), you won't need a chiller.

I think you mean fan, not light, but yes a fan blowing over the top of the water is capable of cooling the tank a good 3-4 degrees. Usually i would try this before recommending an expensive chiller.

Back
Top Bottom