Ideas for using fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have six silver dollars in my tank and real plants are out of the question. They eat everything, including Java fern. Anyone have pics of an amazing tank with fake plants? I added a video of what I have so far, but I still think it could use something else maybe. Pretty sure I need to lost the fakey fakey one in the front.

You can get some very realistic looking fake plants on line. Here are a few links so you can see what I mean. Artificial Aquarium Plants & Artificial Corals and Silk Aquarium Plants - 1800PetSupplies.com. You can also use those silk plants from Walmart or other stores in aquariums. Just make sure they do not have metal wire stems or the metal is well covered by plastic. As for layout, do a Google search and you can get lots of ideas. You could pretty much pick an aquarium setup you really like and just use the artificial equivalent of whatever real plants were used. You can find almost any type of plant replica.

Hi pbkuhn,
I'm not super happy with the fake plants in my tank, but using one or two types provides better visual effects than a mishmash. Mine is sparse to keep lots of open swimming space. I just added anubias and my silver dollars have left it alone for an hour now lol we will see how it goes.
I also like silk plants but overdid it when I put them in my tank and caused issues with cleaning so I just went back to bare bones plastic.
Let us know how you make out!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417381881.543813.jpg

Thanks for the input! I just love silver dollars but they are like plant lawnmowers. LOL! I did some rearranging to help and yes I'm sticking with plastic. Your silvers are cute in your tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love them too. I was always afraid to put live plants in for that reason but the anubias made it through the night! I would love to see a pic of yours!

I found silk (polyester) difficult to maintain. It stains and frays.

If high end plastic is out of your price range, I found that packing the tank densely with mid range plastic helped it look better.

I also bought square mats of the short plants and cut them up into irregular shapes, for more realism.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

+1 to the suggestion of going with the "densely planted" look with plastic plants. It's harder to vacuum up the crud with more plants packed in there, but it really helps keep things looking more natural than a sparse 'scape will, and the fish seem to appreciate the extra cover. Also, modifying the short "mats" into irregular shapes as suggested above can make a huge difference in helping make things look natural.

As far as silk vs plastic, it's personal choice. Silk tends to look more natural at first, but it does get gummed up, turn frayed, etc. You can extend the life of them by soaking them in cleaning products and then rinsing/treating thoroughly, but this can have catastrophic results if done incorrectly. Also, no matter how well you keep them clean, eventually they typically start to fray too much and need to be replaced.

Plastic is much simpler to clean and doesn't require as much rinsing/treating in the rare cases you have to use cleaning products on them. It also doesn't usually need replacing over time unless you're a bit too rough on scrubbing them and accidentally rip pieces off (which can usually just be superglued back on). It does tend to look more fake unless you go for the really spendy ones though.

I love them too. I was always afraid to put live plants in for that reason but the anubias made it through the night! I would love to see a pic of yours!
Here is a pic of my new and improved PLASTIC aquascape...LOL. It actually looks better in person, but this is what it is for now.

Attachments

• 120 Gallon Silvers.jpg
    120 Gallon Silvers.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 97
I found silk (polyester) difficult to maintain. It stains and frays.

If high end plastic is out of your price range, I found that packing the tank densely with mid range plastic helped it look better.

I also bought square mats of the short plants and cut them up into irregular shapes, for more realism.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.[/QUOT

Thanks for the tip!

+1 to the suggestion of going with the "densely planted" look with plastic plants. It's harder to vacuum up the crud with more plants packed in there, but it really helps keep things looking more natural than a sparse 'scape will, and the fish seem to appreciate the extra cover. Also, modifying the short "mats" into irregular shapes as suggested above can make a huge difference in helping make things look natural.

As far as silk vs plastic, it's personal choice. Silk tends to look more natural at first, but it does get gummed up, turn frayed, etc. You can extend the life of them by soaking them in cleaning products and then rinsing/treating thoroughly, but this can have catastrophic results if done incorrectly. Also, no matter how well you keep them clean, eventually they typically start to fray too much and need to be replaced.

Plastic is much simpler to clean and doesn't require as much rinsing/treating in the rare cases you have to use cleaning products on them. It also doesn't usually need replacing over time unless you're a bit too rough on scrubbing them and accidentally rip pieces off (which can usually just be superglued back on). It does tend to look more fake unless you go for the really spendy ones though.

Thank you for this. I posted a pic of my attempt in this thread. Of course phone pic is never as good as in person, but I think it looks as good as it can, but I would welcome critique.

The tank looks incredible! I love the wood and you did a fantastic job. I'm planning on rescaping at some point soon. It's hard because my guys are so massive and skittish if I put big or dense stuff in there they get bent out of shape. They're about 9" long and 6" tall.
Post more pics as they come!
I also had fish picking at the silk plants trying to eat the frayed bits which is one of the reasons I ditched them

The tank looks incredible! I love the wood and you did a fantastic job. I'm planning on rescaping at some point soon. It's hard because my guys are so massive and skittish if I put big or dense stuff in there they get bent out of shape. They're about 9" long and 6" tall.
Post more pics as they come!
I also had fish picking at the silk plants trying to eat the frayed bits which is one of the reasons I ditched them

I have two silks in there and have already seen the fish nipping them. I am planning to keep working with it. My silvers aren't that big yet, perhaps 4-5 inches from mouth to tail. I will keep more pics up. Would love to see yours as you add. Love silver dollars!

Back
Top Bottom