Identify my fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there, I originally thought that this was a guppy fry...
21227-albums414-picture2755.jpg

...when I found it on 1/24. This pic is of at only a few days old, and is the only decent pic I have of him at the time. Now I have 16 or so 10 day old guppy fry, and 20 or so 5 day old molly fry, and I'll be darned if they look nothing like the older fry. I had 5 platies in the tank when I found him, 4 appeared male and 1 is definitely female, so the only other explanation I have is that this is a platy fry. Is anyone good at identifying the differences between molly, guppy, and platy fry?

I'll try to get a few good pics of the fry I currently have and post in this thread if it helps...

Doesn't look like any guppy fry I've seen. The eye seems too big for how small the fish is. Usually my couple day old guppy fry have tiny, tiny eyes.

I think it is a platy. I have it in a tank with 17 guppy fry born on 2/20 and 28 molly fry born on 2/28 and he looks absolutely nothing like the guppy fry - at all.

Here's a few recent pics of the fry in question, at 6 weeks
21227-albums416-picture3125.jpg

21227-albums416-picture3126.jpg

21227-albums416-picture3127.jpg

And a few others of the molly/guppy fry. This one has both, the guppies are dark and mollies are light
21227-albums416-picture3128.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the guppies
21227-albums416-picture3129.jpg

Not a great shot, but it's a molly
21227-albums416-picture3130.jpg

A somewhat better shot of a few molly fry, with a few out of focus gups...
21227-albums416-picture3131.jpg

I feel pretty confident that it is not a guppy or molly fry. It has to be Platy, no other candidates in the 55.

What's interesting is that, in the 55 where I found it, I have 2 Mickeys, 2 Blues, and 1 Black/Gold. The only one that is female is the Black, I got all of them on 1/2/9 and the fry was found 1/24/9. Before I knew how to sex them, one of the blues got really fat, then thinned out less than a week later, but it didn't coincide with finding the fry. I have read that some livebearers change from F to M even after giving birth, but I guess I'll never really know, or time will just tell.

never eard of livebearers having sex changes but ok. quick warning you will want to get more females or else all thosse males will stress your lone females to death. i really cant be sure about anything with platys as i have never bred them tho.

Back
Top Bottom