Identifying Coralline Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some green areas growing on my live rock. It's not stringy or spreading like wild fire. However, I'm unsure about what type of algae it is. I suspect that it's green coralline algae, but how can I be sure? How do you identify coralline algae in the beginning stages of its growth? Can anyone help?

The beginning stage is no different than any other stage. It's starts out as a small crusty patch and gets bigger. It doesn't evolve from another algae. It starts as a small patch and just gets bigger.

Okay. However, how do you identify coralline algae versus other types of algae? Does anyone have pictures of the beginning stages of coralline algea? Does anyone have pictures of the growth stages of coralline algae? If the beginning stage is no different than any other stage of algae growth, how do you determine that it is in fact coralline algae that's growing versus some other form of algae?

Check out cccapt's "images" there is a perfect example of it growing. One tip is, it's hard to scrape off.

Okay. I take gather that there is no way to properly identify coralline algae in the beginning stages? Also, I'm thinking ahead to tank maintenance. Being that it's so hard to scrap off, is coralline algae something that I really want to deal with in a FOWLR tank?

It's good stuff and shows a healthy tank. You can scrape it off the glass. I have found my pencil and pincushion urchins love it.

I beg to differ with you. I have to work a razor blade somf'n fierce to get it off my glass. At first you go..."Ooh pretty" but over time end up wishing you could contain it...

Case in point below

img_895446_0_2511e1ddaa66979ac6747a2e94d61a31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom