IDK Whats Going On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffen06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, hope I can get some help. Ive been keeping fish for 15 years (fresh and salt) and never had an issue like this before. My wife has a 54 gallon aquarium that has been set up for about 4 years. Not many fish were kept in it and it had the same inhabitants for the past year (3 albino cory cats, a neon tetra and a couple serpae tetras). About 4 weeks ago the last neon passed and we decided to add a few new fish. We added a small pleco, a small blue gourami, a pictus catfish and an angelfish. After a week everyone was doing well but awoke to a dead pictus. Returned him and got another. At this time I decided to move the tank (only over a couple feet) drained about 75% of the water to move it and refilled. Fish got really stressed but were fine the next day. 2 weeks ago we added a 2nd angelfish and 2 mollies. All were doing well and eating. Then on friday awoke to the last of the tetras dead, didnt think much of it as weve had them for over 2 years then it went downhill. Saturday the pictus, an angel and a molly were all dead. I tested the water and everything looked good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, about 15 on nitrates, PH of 7. Monday morning the other molly and a cory cat passed. The last angelfish looks terrible, pale redish spot on its side and looks like its peeling. The gourami, pleco and 2 last cory cats look okay and are acting normal. Im at a loss

How old are your test kits. Are you using a liquid ammonia kit?

Even if ammonia didn’t cause the problem i think it’s a bit suspect that you have zero ammonia in a tank that has had that many dead fish in it for some hours.

Back
Top Bottom