ill Oranda :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaDave

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two Orandas in my fish tank (60 L). One's fairly new (got him a couple months ago) and white with an orange head and the other (Orangey) is fairly old (my 1st fish - got him almost 4 years ago), Orange with no bumpy head, and much bigger than the white one at 11 cm! Sam's about 7 cm from head to tail tip (the white fish).

For the last couple of weeks Sam's Orange head has had a big white bump in the centre but seems fine, and Orangey's head has got a smaller white patch. I didn't want to do this but had to - just quickly touched Sam's bump to see what it was like. It was soft and not like normal fish feel (I don't think I stressed him out too much). A few weeks ago I put a new waterplant in there.

On Saturday night one of my Hong Kong Plecs died and on Sunday we buried him. I haven't seen the other one in a while either. I hadn't done a water change for a coupe of weeks but on Sunday I did one, scraped the algae off, replaced a filter cartridge (3 in a HOB), and cleaned all the filter stuff out to let it flow freely. Every night after school since I've used the jug to get water from the tank and put it back in and repeating to help aerate it (as the bubbler's not doing a good job). I put one tablespoon of salt in on Sunday and am hoping to make a sponge filter on Saturday, take out the HOB cartridges, and use some antibacterial + antifungal medicine to help with the white bump patches.

But today when I saw Orangey he was lying on his side looking all dead. I've heard u tell the difference between an asleep and dead fish by whether they're floating on top - lucky he wasn't. But this is false as my Hong Kong Plec that dies wasn't at the top - he was at the bottom. So I checked by tapping the glass lightly (I know I shouldn't but I had to to check) but he was alive. Quickly though he settled down into the dead-looking position. I moved him gently using the jug but still once he settled back down he was dead-looking again.

I don't know what's wrong! Should I wait until Saturday and use the meds, or what? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry about this looooooooooooong post but u need the info. Thanks for any help once again.

Do a large water change. At least 50% or more. Use Prime or a good conditioner on the new water.
Temp match new water.

Buy an API master Test Kit and keep testing your water.

Your tank is only about 15g US. Maybe less depending on how much gravel.

Way too small for two Goldfish.

Losing your first fish should have been a major red flag to test your water.

When you cleaned your filter, did you wash all the pads ? Did you use tap water ??

You may have killed off most of your good bacteria. Plus overloading your tank adding the new Goldfish.

Fancy GF need at least 29g or larger. Larger is better. Better water quality, better chance to swim and grow.

For now , consider buying a big 50g Rubbermaid container as a temp pond or look at getting a new tank ASAP. Even without the second GF, 15g is too small.

Here is a handy visual guide

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Worry more about lots of clean water and less about meds for now. IMHO

And Hong Kong Plecos aka Hillstream Loaches need River tanks with faster flow than Goldfish prefer.

I hope you can save all your fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29g is MINIMUM recommended size for one Fancy. 40g or larger for 2.
Larger is always better with Goldfish.

Also most go with Canister Filters as 4x filtration is normal. So for a 50g tank you want 200g worth of filtration.

Goldfish are very messy. They get Big. And they live a long life with good care. Over 15yrs for many Fancies.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've got a 200L tank in the garage waiting and me and my grandpa will one day (hopefully next week in the half term) be waterproofing the hydroponics side, and putting the fish in that much bigger tank. It will then be an aquaponics system.

Last night I did a water check and found pH 7.4-7.6, ammonia 0.5, nitrite 0.5 too, and nitrate 0! I don't know how this is be and I think I made a mistake on the nitrate one. On Sunday after I took the dead fish out I did a ~75% water change, as well as cleaning the filters with hose water. Normally I put Nutrafin cycle in but I've ran out (a few weeks ago in fact) so couldn't this time.

This weekend I plan on buying ammonia remover to help out (the ammonia will just get worse if I don't because I need to take the HOB filters out to let the medicine work - sponge filters don't have the chemical filtration and if they did they would just destroy the meds).

Orangey seems healthier today - I don't know why.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've got a 200L tank in the garage waiting and me and my grandpa will one day (hopefully next week in the half term) be waterproofing the hydroponics side, and putting the fish in that much bigger tank. It will then be an aquaponics system.

Last night I did a water check and found pH 7.4-7.6, ammonia 0.5, nitrite 0.5 too, and nitrate 0! I don't know how this is be and I think I made a mistake on the nitrate one. On Sunday after I took the dead fish out I did a ~75% water change, as well as cleaning the filters with hose water. Normally I put Nutrafin cycle in but I've ran out (a few weeks ago in fact) so couldn't this time.

This weekend I plan on buying ammonia remover to help out (the ammonia will just get worse if I don't because I need to take the HOB filters out to let the medicine work - sponge filters don't have the chemical filtration and if they did they would just destroy the meds).

Orangey seems healthier today - I don't know why.

You may have killed your beneficial bacteria with the hose water.

Back
Top Bottom