Im back to being a fish nerd once again :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will have low light so you'll need to stick with Crypts, Jungle Val, and maybe Water Sprite to plant in the substrate and use Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus tied onto driftwood or rocks.

You will have low light so you'll need to stick with Crypts, Jungle Val, and maybe Water Sprite to plant in the substrate and use Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus tied onto driftwood or rocks.

Thank you :) Cool thing about the led bar is its submersible and I can angle it any way and lower it if needed. I could also an additional light on top later. I don't want to go crazy planted just a few plants and lots of mossy drift wood. Whats a good place to purchase all of what you listed above ?

Contact Peabody's Paradise as he might have all of them. Many you can get at Pet Smart in those tubes also.

So I picked up a nice piece of driftwood. Its too large to boil in a pot so I put it in a cooler and am pouring boiling water with aquarium salt over it and letting it soak. How long does it need to soak ? I assume a couple hours is good ??

Pics from the river where I collected the rocks and driftwood

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131124_145746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131124_145746.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 39
  • ForumRunner_20131124_145800.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131124_145800.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ForumRunner_20131124_145837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131124_145837.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 36
Hey there! We live in Eastern WA too! :D So far all good advice. I would like to add that if you want to keep the Betta in the 37g tank, sometimes you can keep other fish with them. All three of my community tanks have a male Betta in them. But sometimes it doesn't work out.

Dump the water and don't use the salt. Salt can absorb into the wood and you don't want salt especially leaching in unknown amounts into the tank.

Thanks, Eastern washington is a great place to live. Nice to have all 4 seasons and rivers, lakes, ocean nearby. I am fairly confident my betta will move to a 10g tank. I have no idea what fish will fill the 37g as of yet.

Dump the water and don't use the salt. Salt can absorb into the wood and you don't want salt especially leaching in unknown amounts into the tank.

Not putting the water into the tank that I am soaking the wood in. Didn't use any more aquarium salt then I would have used normally in the tank. 2 hours in the boiling water, let the wood cool down for an hour than I assume I can place it in the aquarium ?. Already have things in motion

Thanks, Eastern washington is a great place to live. Nice to have all 4 seasons and rivers, lakes, ocean nearby. I am fairly confident my betta will move to a 10g tank. I have no idea what fish will fill the 37g as of yet.

It sure is!

Have you checked Dwarf Cichlids out? They are kinda like Bettas, but come from South America. In a 37 gallon tank, you could do a pair, a couple schools of fish, and then some bottom feeders or larger shrimp like Amano shrimp and a few Nerite snails, for your clean up crew. Loaches are another choice, but you would need sand.

It sure is!

Have you checked Dwarf Cichlids out? They are kinda like Bettas, but come from South America. In a 37 gallon tank, you could do a pair, a couple schools of fish, and then some bottom feeders or larger shrimp like Amano shrimp and a few Nerite snails, for your clean up crew. Loaches are another choice, but you would need sand.

I have sand :) and that is a very good suggestion. Thank yoiu

So I already added the drift wood. Had to weigh it down with rocks so it wouldn't float. Makes some nice fish hiding spots. Not really sure if I like it yet.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131124_160913.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131124_160913.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom