I'm done!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not to steal the sales away from shops, but here's an example. You buy 50 lbs of rock for your aquairum.

LFS wants $2.99 a pound for small pieces of rock = $149.50.

Landscaping centers (moreso than home depot or home repair centers) wants .28 per pound for anysize pieces of rock = $14.00.

The prices vary depending upon what kind of rock you get. But remember, grab your hammer and make smaller pieces.

Also, take a ziplock bag full of wet aquarium gravel (don't let kids play with ziplock bag of wet gravel in car, van or truck on way to landscaping center). You can match the wet gravel with the different colors of rocks they have for sale and see what looks best. I say wet because wet gravel might look darker or lighter than dry gravel.

Absolutely, I posted this in the FW setup costs, but the entire cost of a makeover from my Amazon tank to my Lake Malawi tank was $40--$10 for the eggcrate, $25 for the rocks, and $5 for the sand. Granted it took a bit more work than buying it from the lfs, I had to scrub and soak the rocks and rinse the sand, but as an avid dyi 'r, I didn't mind. Now if I could only make my own fish... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom