I'm having problems with cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1995

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 20 gallon freshwater tank about 3 to 4 weeks ago and i have an api test kit and i have put in api stress enzime and the amonia will not go down i have had no nitrite or nitrate spikes what am i doing wrong and the ph is around 6.6 to 7.0 and the temp is 77-81 degress i have 4 zebra danios and 1 alage eater i feed them 2 times a day

and i have a penguin 100 bio and a topfin 200 for filters and for aeriation a tetra 40 airpump

my ammoinia is like 2.0 ppm but i added amquel plus and that is keeping my fish alive

When you have ammonia change water instead of amquel. Amquel only binds ammonia water changes remove it. Sometimes cycling takes a long time.

eduguy said:
When you have ammonia change water instead of amquel. Amquel only binds ammonia water changes remove it. Sometimes cycling takes a long time.

Things like amquel or prime cant be relied on to keep ammonia at bay. They are only temporary. Only real way to get levels down before the tank is cycled is by water changes, nothing can replace water changes.

I don't have a definite answer for you because everyone's tanks/water source are different. Based on your numbers (high ammonia, zero nitrite/nitrate), your tank hasn't really started the process yet. Adding some cycled media is the quickest way to jump start a cycle. Do you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank or pond that could lend you some media?

Back
Top Bottom