im moving my stuff from my 75 to my new 90 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all, im moving my stuff from my 75 to my new 90 tank, but im not sure how long it will take to cycle. any idea?? im only moving sand and lr for now until the tank is cycled then i will move the rest. thx !

I personally would ditch the sand. Heard too many horror stories about people that brought the sand over and the tank crashed because of the trash in the sand even after rinsing it out. If you bring over the LR to the new tank you might not even see a cycle. It`s already live and should have plenty of nitrifying bacteria.

I think it depends on how old and how deep the sand is. If the tank has been set up less than a year and is 3" or less you could do it. However this is coming from a guy that used sand from the ocean, so YMMV. Also, my order of attack would be to use a 3rd vessel of some sort, like a rubbermaid 30gal and put the LR, water, and fish into, with a bubbler. Then stir the sand in the remaining 40 gallons and clean it off.

I would assume you have a sump that could hold some extra SW and you have new SW mixed and ready. If not, my LFS gives 5 gal containers with deposit and SW @ $1.45.

thx for te reply. today i saw a snail in my new tank. Probably came from my old tank...or from the lr. So im assuming my tank is cycled? or dot need cycle? thinking snails are much more sensitive than other creatures? should i move my clowns in?

if you move everything over the tank won't go through a cycle. the rock is already cycled. you'll get a brown diatom bloom on the new surfaces, but that's it.
i agree on the sand bed. it's risky depending on the age and depth. i might skip it.

Just a lil on my own experience over the last two days. Friday morning i was awoken by my 55 busting a seam and slowly leaking water. I took everything out and put it into rubber maids by the time i was done the seam was a full bust and my tank was leaking pretty fast!! I cleaned up went out and got my self a new 75 gal filled with sand fresh salt water and w/e live rock i had with no coral attached. I let sit for about 3 hours so it would settle and then moved everything back in. So far everything is doing great and i check my water this morning and all of my parameters are at 0 or very close...that being said I don't think you will have a problem just moving everything into your new tank :)

Back
Top Bottom