Im overstocked and need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys I'm just looking for a little input for my problem here. Please don't call me a bad person because I am aware I have a problem and I am going to do something about it. I would just like to know how serious it is and what you guys think...

I have a 29 gallon with the following fish:
1 x Angelfish
4 x Cories
2 x Otos
2 x Platys
2 x mollies
6 x lemon tetras

... Those were the original fish I had in the tank... Then I added another molly due to it being extremely bullied at the pet store and I needed to get it out of that tank. I then rescued a paradise fish that was being kept in bad conditions. And now I just added 2 female bettas because the 3rd female betta they were with was harassing them to much.

I also have a 10 gallon split in half with the 3rd female betta and guppy fry on the other half.

I have a second 10 gallon that is in the process of cycling that I plan to use for the guppy fry until I can get rid of them.

I really don't want to get rid of any of my fish... If I did I would have no idea who to get rid of! I just want suggestions on where I could possibly put fish to make the arrangements a little better for them... Thanks for advice guys

Let me see if I have this right. You have a 29 gallon and 2 10 gallons. Where is the Paradise fish? Is the rescued molly in addition to the 2 listed in your 29 or you have 2 total? Your females bettas are all in a 10 that is split to separate the bully betta?

You don't need to go thru the entire cycling process for the 2nd 10 gallon. Just move a little media from one of your other tanks.

Probably a dumb question but do you have space and money for another tank? Maybe get a used 55G for them all then 1 of the 10G can be for the fry and the other 10G as a hospital tank. Save the 29G you have now for when the fry start to outgrow the 10G

My mother won't let me get another tank. I have 3 mollies total now. The 10 gallon that is being cycled does have existing media in it. The other 10 gallon only has 1 aggressive female betta and is sharing it with guppy fry. The other two female bettas are in the 29

The paradise is also in the 29. It is a very peaceful paradise

All you can really do for now is move fish from the 29 to the 10 and watch your nitrate levels

As the paradise fish matures it could get aggressive. It's very much like a Betta and can get to about 5". You'll be best to rehome it. The peaceful bettas could go in one 10 gallon. Are you certain the aggressive one is female? You may consider rehomeing that one as well just to be on the safe side. Then you'll have plenty of room for your fry.

I have a paradise and is as peaceful as can be, but whenever I've put my betta in with him he goes nuts. The paradise in my opinion will be fine, just be very very cautious of your water parameters. I've found they're very sensitive to ammonia and nitrates so watch them closely.

If you find yourself in need of temporary tanks you can use plastic storage totes in an emergency. I have seen this done a lot. Just put a filter and heater in and you have a temporary place for unexpected fish. Technically not a tank so maybe Mom will not get mad. I have raised mystery snails and plants like this.

My concern with the paradise fish is the angel in the 29. It may see the angel as competition.

Well the paradise is female. And she is about 4' now. I've noticed the angel sometime has some ripped fins.. I always figured it came from decor or something though

Back
Top Bottom