I'm so confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I have been on here a lot but I want to make sure i'm doing everything right. However, I'm concerned because almost every bit of information I receive about EVERYTHING is different... I'm kind of overwhelmed... Even when I look up tank size requirements PH levels and all these things online... every site even says something differently... Everyone's opinion is different... Idk... Advice??? Anyone??

I just got mollies for my 10g after I took my tiger barbs back bc of aggression and tank size. I asked if two mollies would be okay and I was told four would be fine. I had my barbs in my tank for over a month... Two of my mollies are stayin in one spot one moving his mouth almost constantly... I did like a 40% PWC and the two white ones i have seemed a little bit better but not very active still... I just don't know... I just got them yesterday could they still be adjusting? I know it sounds horrible but I don't have the money for a test kit at the moment... I figured the water would be fine since it is way passed a normal cycling time and I had barbs in it for a month. I feel oblivious... :lol:

Flossie said:
I know I have been on here a lot but I want to make sure i'm doing everything right. However, I'm concerned because almost every bit of information I receive about EVERYTHING is different... I'm kind of overwhelmed... Even when I look up tank size requirements PH levels and all these things online... every site even says something differently... Everyone's opinion is different... Idk... Advice??? Anyone??

I just got mollies for my 10g after I took my tiger barbs back bc of aggression and tank size. I asked if two mollies would be okay and I was told four would be fine. I had my barbs in my tank for over a month... Two of my mollies are stayin in one spot one moving his mouth almost constantly... I did like a 40% PWC and the two white ones i have seemed a little bit better but not very active still... I just don't know... I just got them yesterday could they still be adjusting? I know it sounds horrible but I don't have the money for a test kit at the moment... I figured the water would be fine since it is way passed a normal cycling time and I had barbs in it for a month. I feel oblivious... :lol:

Totally understand you, in this hobby, many suggestions are based in facts, like the nitrogen cycle or the best way to growth plants. But also, many other things that are shared as an advice, are the result of past experiences, such as the fish compatibility. Fish compatibility is in certain percentage based on fish profiles, but also is influenced by many other factors, like tank size, specific individual fish temperament, etc.

So the best is to listen, read as much as you can, do your own research, and try to make your best decision. You own experience will dictate the next move in your tank.

Really important to learn what is going on in your tank is related to water quality. I understand the money issue, but as soon as your budget allows you, try to buy the master test kit. It is one of the fundamental to be successful in this hobby.

Good luck!!

Yeah..I know what you mean. So much info coming at you from every direction..everyone has different opinions. If you can post questions on this forum, like about a fish you want to add to your tank, you can usually get a feel for what the majority thinks (including people that have actual experience with a specific fish that you may not have), do your own reseach, and make your own educated decision from there. You'll still make mistakes, we all do, but you'll learn from them.

That being said, mollies are not appropriate for a 10 gal tank. They get much too large and produce a lot of waste. I would maybe keep a couple in a 20 gal but a lot of people feel 29 is the minimum for them. Livebearers you could successfully keep in a 10 gal would be guppies and platy. :)

siva said:
Yeah..I know what you mean. So much info coming at you from every direction..everyone has different opinions. If you can post questions on this forum, like about a fish you want to add to your tank, you can usually get a feel for what the majority thinks (including people that have actual experience with a specific fish that you may not have), do your own reseach, and make your own educated decision from there. You'll still make mistakes, we all do, but you'll learn from them.

That being said, mollies are not appropriate for a 10 gal tank. They get much too large and produce a lot of waste. I would maybe keep a couple in a 20 gal but a lot of people feel 29 is the minimum for them. Livebearers you could successfully keep in a 10 gal would be guppies and platy. :)

+1

Siva hit the nail on the head. Listen, ask questions and do lots of research on your own, but ultimately the decision has to be yours and what you feel is right. I've done and do things many would say is impossible or inappropriate, but if your fish are happy, plants are growing good or whatever it may be, then you have to be doing something right.

IMO the biggest mistakes are listening to what LFS sales people say and not knowing just how big a fish can get and not being prepared for it.

Keep a positive spirit and things will work out in the end.

Thanks guys... I'm going to take the mollies Back I think... I'm tryin to get the hubby interested and he like them... Not
My personal fav. I did like a 40% partial water change cause they were acting strange and i had my water tested and she said the nitrates and nitrites were really high... Said it could be from the pwc since it was so large and needs to settle... I lost one last night ... I'm. Confused on pwc I thought they lowered levels??? Also she used strips.. Idk how inaccurate those are...

Yeah, you got some bad info. A 40% water change is not going to cause that... really a 90% wouldn't if you do it correct... and with test strips, you might as well just smell the water and try to get a reading. I'd suggest you purchase a liquid reagent test kit so you can monitor your own levels.

One thing about this hobby... many people have many different opinions... and many of those opinions work fine. There's always more than one way to do something, or more than one theory on how something works.

Hi Flossie, I can relate to the frustration and confusion. I've been on here asking a zillion questions too. Thankfully these folks are very forgiving of newcomers! I'm a control/research freak. I want to know everything beforehand, but have realized sometimes you need to just do things, and learn from it, good or bad. Everyone has their own way to do things, and you will eventually develop your own. Most likely it will be a mix of everything you've read and heard.

Flossie said:
Thanks guys... I'm going to take the mollies Back I think... I'm tryin to get the hubby interested and he like them... Not
My personal fav. I did like a 40% partial water change cause they were acting strange and i had my water tested and she said the nitrates and nitrites were really high... Said it could be from the pwc since it was so large and needs to settle... I lost one last night ... I'm. Confused on pwc I thought they lowered levels??? Also she used strips.. Idk how inaccurate those are...

I can understand that situation. My GF liked the goldies but wasn't too into it till she saw and fell in love with green spotted puffers (GSP). Now she's all fired up about it and even though I'm doing the setup she has a lot more interest beyond just looking at the tank.

The LFS just wants to sell you stuff and unless you saw them running 2 tests, chances are they didn't even test for ammo, as the strips can't do all tests at once. Not sure what dechlorinator you use, but IMO Prime is the best choice and you can add extra to reduce some toxins in the tank. PWC are you and your fishes best friend and to say it needs to settle, means the sales person didn't know what they were talking about. Get a liquid test kit, do your own testing and you'll be much better off.

I understand your confusion. The most important thing I have learned is to basically disregard anything the people at the LFS tell you. Case in point, a large water change is not going to increase your nitrites and nitrates. You really need to invest in a test kit before you get any more fish.

I think taking them back is best. If you have nitrite in your tank, it isn't ready for fish. A water change would not cause nitrite in the water. An established tank with fish in it should always read 0 for ammonia and nitrite. I'm not sure how long you've had this tank, but it can take over a month for a tank to cycle. After you take the mollies back and get a liquid test kit, I would do a little research on fishless cycling and make sure this tank is really ready for fish before adding more.

Yeah, you got some bad info. A 40% water change is not going to cause that... really a 90% wouldn't if you do it correct... and with test strips, you might as well just smell the water and try to get a reading. I'd suggest you purchase a liquid reagent test kit so you can monitor your own levels.

One thing about this hobby... many people have many different opinions... and many of those opinions work fine. There's always more than one way to do something, or more than one theory on how something works.

Yeah, that really confused me... cause everything i've read say PWC's are key to balanced water... I didn't completely trust it bc she did use the strips to test and I remember you guys saying they aren't accurate. If I can get the biology part down I think I can maybe handle it. I'm starting to understand it a little better I think :)

+1

Siva hit the nail on the head. Listen, ask questions and do lots of research on your own, but ultimately the decision has to be yours and what you feel is right. I've done and do things many would say is impossible or inappropriate, but if your fish are happy, plants are growing good or whatever it may be, then you have to be doing something right.

IMO the biggest mistakes are listening to what LFS sales people say and not knowing just how big a fish can get and not being prepared for it.

Keep a positive spirit and things will work out in the end.

Thanks Mr. Limpet! You are right :)

I understand your confusion. The most important thing I have learned is to basically disregard anything the people at the LFS tell you. Case in point, a large water change is not going to increase your nitrites and nitrates. You really need to invest in a test kit before you get any more fish.

Thank you because that really confused me!

I can understand that situation. My GF liked the goldies but wasn't too into it till she saw and fell in love with green spotted puffers (GSP). Now she's all fired up about it and even though I'm doing the setup she has a lot more interest beyond just looking at the tank.

The LFS just wants to sell you stuff and unless you saw them running 2 tests, chances are they didn't even test for ammo, as the strips can't do all tests at once. Not sure what dechlorinator you use, but IMO Prime is the best choice and you can add extra to reduce some toxins in the tank. PWC are you and your fishes best friend and to say it needs to settle, means the sales person didn't know what they were talking about. Get a liquid test kit, do your own testing and you'll be much better off.

Those are definitely cool :) Hopefully i'll get him into it a little better...

I only seen her dip one little test strip... she said ph and everything was okay but nitrites and nitrates are high... but then I believe she said my water was hard... so seems like that would make a high PH?
I do have a pleco in the tank but he's not to big yet... maybe he is putting of the waste.?? Bc.. I didnt have fish in it for a couple of weeks...

I've had my tank for over two months... I had tiger barbs in it for about a month and I took them back bc tank size ( again ) and i did a water change a couple weeks ago and one yesterday. I do have a pleco in there but he isn't to big but maybe he's big enough to be producing to much waste? I have a 55g i was hoping to transfer him to but that may take to long.. I may just have to donate him as well..

Flossie said:
Those are definitely cool :) Hopefully i'll get him into it a little better...

I only seen her dip one little test strip... she said ph and everything was okay but nitrites and nitrates are high... but then I believe she said my water was hard... so seems like that would make a high PH?
I do have a pleco in the tank but he's not to big yet... maybe he is putting of the waste.?? Bc.. I didnt have fish in it for a couple of weeks...

Which means your ammonia isn't even being tested. As for no2/n03 being high, IME tests strips can't truly gauge the levels anywhere near as accurate as a liquid test kit and pH isn't that critical unless it dips really low due to soft water. My pH is a steady 7.8, my Moors are parents to 20 or so fry and I was told that they wouldn't breed unless the pH was 7.0.

okay well I'm just going to take them back and try and get a test kit and get things stable before I buy new fish...

One I get new fish should I just test once a month or once a week? I know you are supposed to do a PWC at least once a month

You should do a pwc (I usually do 30% it depends on the tank) every week. I do mine on the same day of the week so I don't forget. Then I always test the water atleast once a week in between water changes as well.

Back
Top Bottom