I'm such a bad fish mom!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheadle Chick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well tonight I'm going to move my tank and fish to my new house. I'm kinda nervous, I really don't want anything to die on me!

Hi Cheadle,
How far are you moving? Have you made sure to read some articles about moving them?

The 2 biggest things I can stress is 1) Don't let your filter media, substrate, or items in the tank dry out because the bacteria will die. And 2) Do NOT move the tank with any water in it. Water sloshing around in there is the absolute fastest way to break your seals.

Good luck!!

-brent

some girl I know moved a ten gallon completely full of water and fish the other day, her and another boy carried it full to her car and she drove it 15 miles to her new apretment but yet the fish are still alive lol

Ok I'm a really bad fish mom!!
I read all the articles everyone posted previously and I got my fish moved last night but I did something terrible!! I am now officially one of "those people" that tempted fate. I moved the tank with the fish in it. I know I know, I shouldn't have. But I seriously couldn't catch all of the fish! I think I need netting lessons. The tank was partially drained (otherwise there's no way I could lift it) and the fish that I could catch were put into the water in the buckets.
Anyways I must be really lucky because the tank didn't break and all of my fish survived. I will NOT be doing it this way again though!
Does anyone have any tips for catching extremely fast fish?

I have had good luck using the two net method. Use the small net to chase the fish into the bigger net. Move the big net very slowly and the fish wont see it as a threat they will just concentrate on getting away from the small, faster moving net. It takes a lot of patients but I think its easier than just trying to use one net.

I'm happy to hear that all went well! Water can be heavy!! haha.

Congrats

-brent

I had to do the same thing. I moved my smaller fish easily into a fish box, but my pleco and pictus had to take a ride in some really low water. Only about five miles. I was stressing them more chasing them around the tank. Really. They are perfectly fine. Plecos are really strong.

Congrats on the successful move. Lucky you got everyone there ok. I'll be moving soon but have way too many and way to large tanks to even entertain the thought of moving with the fish in the tanks. How big is your tank btw? As for catching fish I take out the decorations and ornaments if necessary, and it seems it usually is, and use two nets. Some times it takes 2 nets and my husband with 2 nets in the 125 gal. LOL

I moved a 20Gal 1/2 full (that is pretty heavy, about 130-140lbs) with fish. (including a monster sailfin).. didn't have any problems with it either.

Only stupid thing I did was carrying it by myself. the sloshing water sure does want to pull it over.

Back
Top Bottom