In-tank macro algae: shaving brush, red tree garcilaria, e. spinosum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i would like to add some colors/functionality to my reef tank by introducing some macro algaes. here are my questions:

1) shaving brush-how does it propagate and how is it maintained other than iron/trace supplements? i can't find anyone who's kept it in the long term (longest i found was a member who kept it for 8months before it dies off)

2) garcilaria + spinosum-does anyone see problem with these two in the tank? never had macroalgae in the tank before, so i would like to ask before getting them.

i would really would like minimum maintenance for these three if possible. i don't have a sump, so they have to go inside the tank.

Shaving brush are not long term in my exp. grac is liked by tangs and angels will look nice in tank. Could get tore up by fish if you have tangs. Local reefers are good for dragons breath if you have access to one ask them if anys for sale.

Shaving brush are not long term in my exp. grac is liked by tangs and angels will look nice in tank. Could get tore up by fish if you have tangs. Local reefers are good for dragons breath if you have access to one ask them if anys for sale.

the closest lfs that sells the dragon breath is 80miles away and >$50 a poriton, and i don't even know what their portion size is:confused:

Tangs will devour grac till nothing left but thick stems. Best in a fuge if you have tangs and just put some in DT on e in a while. It's what I have in my fuge. None lasts long in DT for me.

the closest lfs that sells the dragon breath is 80miles away and >$50 a poriton, and i don't even know what their portion size is:confused:

Spinosum likes cooler water and doesn't do well long term. That's crazy I picked some up for $15 from a fellow reefer ziplock full. Well good luck the other macros are not as eye pleasing. No local reef clubs or reefers that could met you half way? Online places has some but shipping kills.

Back
Top Bottom