inbred guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover07

Aquarium Advice Regular
When my bf and I went to our favorite fish store I saw this amazing fish, I know it is because of inbreeding but I couldn't help but to love the poor thing to death. It sounds bad but I love the way the little guy looks. I would never inbreed just to get another fish like this because its just cruel, but I didn't know if he will be ok in our 75 gal or if I should make him a special home. The pet store has had him for two weeks and everyone says to kill it but I told them I wanted it. So Friday if it is still alive I'm going to pick it up. I don't want it to be killed just because they can't sell it so I'm buying it. Any advice would help :)

We have a clown knife which is leaving us soon, getting another ghost knife, 7 barbs, three swordtails, five danios, two chinease algea eaters, a grey birlich, six cichlids, and one crab. We also have a beta in our other tank which is being housed to a new tank for my sons room. Despite what everyone says about the mix of fish we have they are the funniest to watch when they swim together. Our barbs leave everyone alone and our clown knife just hides out till feeding time. Its really quite cute, they will all kind of school together and parade around the tank.

I wouldn't risk it. Guppies are tiny compared to some of those fish and could become a snack. If you can get him his own tank that would be better. A 5 or 10g would work. You could also get him a couple of guppy friends.

Well I know the common guppy is a tiny little thing but if this guy wasn't so mangled (wavey) he'd probably stretch out to about four inches. He's as big as my swordtails are. I can upload a pic off the internet on what this guy looks like but I won't have him till Friday, then ill upload pics of him. I have read that for the fish to get to this stage of deformity its not just one or two generations of inbreeding. I was thinking of just throwing this sweet heart in my breeding tank so he's safe. Pics coming in a few

This is kind of what it looks like but it has a little more wave to the tail and a deeper slope on its back.

Can it still swim ok? Is the one you are looking at bred like that on purpose, is it just a random guppy with a bent spine?

Looks like a serious spinal issue there. I've heard of some disease that can do that to them, but I don't recall what it was. I've had quite a few that have spinal issues, it's not that uncommon when line breeding/selective breeding guppies. I always pull them out as culls, I don't let them breed and definitely wouldn't consider selling them.

As far as keeping him goes, he probably wont do well in a community tank since other fish are much faster and stronger. He will likely get bullied, so the best bet is to keep him in his own smaller tank where you can make sure he's eating well and everything is kosher.

He swims great... which surprised me. The pet store said a lady came in with probably 50 guppies and told them they are a trash fish, they breed to much. She also told them that she was going to kill the deformed fish but figured shed let them do it. From what I understand this was just some lady who liked the looks of guppies but never took any pride in her fish. Considering she started off with just two guppies I think it was just an accident.

I also want to make sure everyone understands that I am not getting this fish to breed it. I could never purposfully do this to a fish. I would just hate to see him be pirahna food.

Swimming great or not, he's probably going to get outcompeted by others without the deformity. I've tried to keep deformed/injured fish in community settings and unfortunately the other fish aren't as kind and considerate as we are as owners. It's your call ultimately, you could try it out and see how it goes for a while. It's great to see that you aren't just throwing him away like the last owner did.

Yea, I've never thought about getting guppies until I saw this guy. I just feel so bad for him :/ I think I will buy our betta a tank for my sons room and let the guppy live out the remander of his life in peace and happyness. Maybe ill get a few regular male guppies. I surely don't want to mix females in with him.

That sounds good. :)
It sounds like he is a guppy with a random deformity. Its nice of you give him a home. :)
You should be able to do like 4 male guppies in a 10g tank, but like jeta said, I wouldn't keep him with too many tankmates or he may not get enough food. If it was me, I would either keep him singly or else get like 1 more male. :)

I have a few endlers that are like this. I "rescued" them from petsmart. They were just left in the tank but I dont think they were destined for good considering petsmart wont sell them. Mine swim and eat fine, so long as the food floats. Feeding these guys sinking food feels mean because they CANNOT get it and really really seem to want it. I think they may be ok in a community tank. Depends on the fish. Mine are still fry but I have 1 (actually I gave it to my brother) that is in a 20 tall with neons and dwarf frogs.

Yea well I'm not worried about him not getting enough food... believe it or not all of our fish eat from our hands. Plus we have tubiflex worms you stick on the glass and they go and eat what they want when they want. I don't even care if he looks good.

Yea well I'm not worried about him not getting enough food... believe it or not all of our fish eat from our hands. Plus we have tubiflex worms you stick on the glass and they go and eat what they want when they want. I don't even care if he looks good.
As long as it is not sinking food like I said. I actually like mine. I wouldnt breed them that way but to see them still living even with such a huge handicap is cool.

i have a pleco with a crooked spine. Always thought he'd die young. 5 or 6 years later he's 12inches (maybe 13" if he wasn't crooked) long and healthy as can be. It adds character!

Back
Top Bottom