Indian Fire Barb Trouble Brewin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

I have what the LFS calls a indian fire barb, looks like a neon rosy barb. Anyway, I have 5 of them with a couple of gold barbs and 3 oto's in a 26 gallon tank.

I have had these barbs for a few months. Now, 1 suddenly died w/o anyway warning a week or so ago. Now, another one of my barbs started hiding a couple days ago, normally they would all be very active and follow me to the tank thinking its time to eat. The 1 barb stays separate from the reset, hovers close to bottom or hides middle-top by the filter. I haven't seen any fish picking on him/her. She hasn't come out to eat in 2 days. Does not appear to breath heavy, she only looks slightly rounder but not enough to yell about. I don't see any blood spots, no white spots, nothing on or around the gills. She has what looks like lost a few scales or color in a couple of spots, so a bit silver where the orange was. I feed once a day mix of flakes and pellets. Water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0. The only thing I have added in past 2 month are 3 plants (java ferns). I have an air stone in the tank. One other call out, I did try some algae crumbles a few days ago in hopes of trying to provide more food for the oto's, the barbs attacked and ate it within minutes. I did a 20% water change today anyway for good measure, will probably do another 20% tomorrow.

I am at a loss here and I don't know what to do, I feel limited due to the plants and oto's. Appreciate any advice. :(

Back
Top Bottom