Information overload...cories and blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
TOO MUCH INFORMATION....lol....:facepalm:.

I just read a whole thread on another site with many people saying that the info that black diamond blasting sand will wear down barbels on corydoras is just a myth. People say they've used it for years with no problems and that only ammonia can hurt barbels. I just put black diamond in a new 29 gallon so I'd love to believe that the barbel thing is a myth.....but is it? What do you think? I adore the cories in my established tank....would love to have them in the new tank, but I def don't want to hurt them. :ermm:

I think that the barbel erosion issue is a bacterial problem, but then again if a substrate causes nicks and scrapes on barbels I could see how they'd get infected.

If it's sharp enough to cut them then yes I suspect it might pose a problem in some situations. I do know with these kind of products that the consistency of one bag can differ from another.

I don't know enough about chemistry to be confident enough to say whether or not it does anything to the water in the tank, but most people claim its safe and there's several who recommend it.

I've never messed with the stuff personally, I just pay a little extra and get quartz based colored ceramic coated sand and don't have to worry about it.

I have the black petco sand in my 10 gallon, and it seems like it's just crushed up gravel. :confused: I'm hesitant to put cories in there too. :nono: It's such a shame because I can see the panda cories being gorgeous against the black. Maybe next tank I'll be able to afford nicer sand. :brows:

I just put blasting sand into my 75 gallon, mixed with EC. I would have no problem putting Cories into the tank with it. I rinsed it well and dug my hands into the whole 50 pound bag twice, scooping by the handful while transferring from one bucket to another twice. My hands are none worse for wear. The stuff it actually very soft to the touch. I researched a lot on it too before I decided on it and the general consensus around the net is that it has been used for years and never linked to digging damage.

I just put blasting sand into my 75 gallon, mixed with EC. I would have no problem putting Cories into the tank with it. I rinsed it well and dug my hands into the whole 50 pound bag twice, scooping by the handful while transferring from one bucket to another twice. My hands are none worse for wear. The stuff it actually very soft to the touch. I researched a lot on it too before I decided on it and the general consensus around the net is that it has been used for years and never linked to digging damage.

I hope you're right!! My hands were a little uncomfortable after dealing with the stuff for a while, but I was also dealing with some extremely cold water coming from my garden hose.....soooo I couldn't really tell if the sand was making me uncomfortable or the cold water. My hands are no worse for the wear....no cuts or scratches, and they feel fine today. :)

I use it to but I don't have bottom dwellers so I can't comment on them but I've never had a problem with it, even while washing it.

Back
Top Bottom