Inherited an unhealthy honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BriLandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody,

As I talked about in a previous post, I purchased a 65 gallon freshwater tank that had an established community. Long story short, it was very poorly stocked and a sweet little dwarf honey gourami got the brunt of the stress and aggression.

He/she has had their dorsal and antenna-like fins nipped almost completely off. I could barely recognize it as a gourami at first! The growth appears to have been stunted and she/he has two dark spots on its body. :hide:

I moved the gourami to my 10 gallon tank so that hopefully it will feel safer, and will be away from whatever fish were aggressive towards it. I don't know what the dark spots are though... is that a disease that he/she could pass on to my healthy fish in the tank?

Here's where I show my non alarmist side. Honey gourami are very small naturally often staying 2 inches or slightly less. Males will get a dark blue belly when spawning, females a brown stripe. Were there any other dwarf gourami in there?

There are no other gouramis in the tank, and that is good to know about the size. The spots definitely aren't stripes. I'll try to get a picture of the fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom