Injured dwarf gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im hoping its just a burn! I never thought of that possibilty (guess because i dont use heaters) but it would make some sense because he is injuring himself at night. Learn something new every day! I would hold off on meds (except salt) unless it doesnt start to improve soon (or it gets worse). It may heal strangely if it is a burn-keep us posted!!

jlk said:
Im hoping its just a burn! I never thought of that possibilty (guess because i dont use heaters) but it would make some sense because he is injuring himself at night. Learn something new every day! I would hold off on meds (except salt) unless it doesnt start to improve soon (or it gets worse). It may heal strangely if it is a burn-keep us posted!!

Me too! I don't know how it could be HITH. I'd like to think I keep a clean tank. :confused: It's not getting any worse but at the same time not improving. It doesn't seem to bother him. Still no more flashing or odd behavior. I will have to invest in some moon lighting to see what he's up to!

I couldnt find any pics of fish burns but i did do some looking! Evidently, its not uncommon for them to wedge themselves betw the heater & the glass or to lean against a heater. I did not know this-i just assumed aq heaters would be fish-safe! I guess you may need to do more 'fish-proofing' on your tank... :)

jlk said:
I couldnt find any pics of fish burns but i did do some looking! Evidently, its not uncommon for them to wedge themselves betw the heater & the glass or to lean against a heater. I did not know this-i just assumed aq heaters would be fish-safe! I guess you may need to do more 'fish-proofing' on your tank... :)

You learn something new everyday! I would assume they wouldn't get hot enough to injure. I mean its bad he got hurt but I truly hope it's a burn and not a disease. Now I've got to do some searching and see what I can find.
Thanks Wilmo and jlk!

I read somewhere that someone used a piece of pvc pipe & drilled holes into it. Not quite sure how this works though!

np mumma. i had alot of bettas and gouramis leaning, and sustaining burns, thats why i thought it could be a burn. the pvc pipe idea would work if you had a good flow imo. i personally would stick to salt but if it gets worse, i would put him in a qt and then use the antibiotics.

jlk said:
I read somewhere that someone used a piece of pvc pipe & drilled holes into it. Not quite sure how this works though!

wilmo said:
np mumma. i had alot of bettas and gouramis leaning, and sustaining burns, thats why i thought it could be a burn. the pvc pipe idea would work if you had a good flow imo. i personally would stick to salt but if it gets worse, i would put him in a qt and then use the antibiotics.

I like the PVC pipe idea. I'll have to have a look around. I think I can only get it in white or orange... Yuck! I have great flow on my tank so thats not a problem. The canisters rated 260gals/hour on a 17g tank lol. Overkill :D
Going to stick with the salt an PWC for now. He's still acting normal (not ill in any way).

I like the PVC pipe idea. I'll have to have a look around. I think I can only get it in white or orange... Yuck! I have great flow on my tank so thats not a problem. The canisters rated 260gals/hour on a 17g tank lol. Overkill :D
Going to stick with the salt an PWC for now. He's still acting normal (not ill in any way).

coat the pipe in black silicon then, haha

wilmo said:
how you boy getting one mumma

He's getting there! Seems to be slowly healing. Haven't got a heater cover yet. (partly because of funds/Xmas, partly coz of laziness lol). It's taking so long to heal that some days I think he might have an infection or something but he's so active and eats well still. No signs of weird growths or fuzz so that's good! There is still a small amount of salt in the tank. No idea how much. Lost count with PWC. Haven't added anymore because of the other fish.

He's getting there! Seems to be slowly healing. Haven't got a heater cover yet. (partly because of funds/Xmas, partly coz of laziness lol). It's taking so long to heal that some days I think he might have an infection or something but he's so active and eats well still. No signs of weird growths or fuzz so that's good! There is still a small amount of salt in the tank. No idea how much. Lost count with PWC. Haven't added anymore because of the other fish.
at least its not getting worse . the other fish will benefit from the salt to. boosts electrolytes in their gills and wat not

Update: looks like he's on the mend! The big hole in the side of his head has started filling in and appears to be healing. I don't think he'll ever get his nice blue coloring back there. It's going to be one **** of a scar. He's earned himself a new name, Scarface! :D

Mumma.of.two said:
Update: looks like he's on the mend! The big hole in the side of his head has started filling in and appears to be healing. I don't think he'll ever get his nice blue coloring back there. It's going to be one **** of a scar. He's earned himself a new name, Scarface! :D

Good good. Glad to hear it x

Back
Top Bottom