Injured Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aharcara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed this morning (actually my dd noticed) that one of our platies seems to have injured her scales. It looks like they've been shaved in one place and are kind of floating on her side like an extra fin. (Sorry, that's the best description I have!) I have no idea what could've caused this.

Should I move the fish to the quarantine tank? I'm afraid of injuring her more by having to net her. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

What are your water parameters? What are her tank mates? How big is her tank? Does she have any white spots on her body? How often do you do PWCs?

It's a 20-gal tank with a total of 8 fish: 2 platies and 6 guppies. I do a 50% PWC weekly. I'll have to check the water parameters in a few minutes and get back to you.

Tank parameters:
pH 6.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 20-40 (I can't tell between the 2 - depends on the light)

The tank has been set up since April.

The fish does not have any white spots.

Thanks!

and your not over stocked and it sounds like you are good on PWCs. i'm sorry but im not sure on what is wrong with him maybe it is some type of fungus that is eating at his scales. At this point i dont think moving him to th QT tank will help. it was probably just where he rubbed up on something. study him for a couple of days and i think it should go away.

The fish died this afternoon. I'll keep an eye on the other fish.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom