Injured/sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me. About two weeks ago my Betta got stuck in a decoration and could not get out, so I had to gently push him out. His head and back where injured from scraping on the decoration, so I added Melafix and aquarium salt for 10 days. The first couple of days he just laid on his side on the bottom of the tank. Now, he just floats at the top on his side. He struggles to swim down and float upright. When I first got him he had signs of swim bladder disease, so I fasted him and then fed him a pea. That cured him. I have done the same this time, but it has not helped. I do not know what to do for him because this was caused by an injury and not over feeding. Please help!

There's not much you can do really unfortunately. Is the salt and melafix finished and water-changed out of tank?

After the 10 days, I put him in my 10 gallon without the aquarium salt and Melafix. Yesterday, I moved him back in the 5 gallon with 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt and Melafix again. Should I do a water change and not add the salt and Melafix?

Try him without the melafix in case it is a reaction to the meds. The salt is fine. (assuming injuries are healing fine).

I just changed his water after reading your post. I then googled Melafix and Betta, and people says it can kill Bettas. I feel so horrible that I have probably caused this. Thank you for your help.

I just changed his water after reading your post. I then googled Melafix and Betta, and people says it can kill Bettas. I feel so horrible that I have probably caused this. Thank you for your help.

I've looked into this and ime the risk is no more or less than for other fish (just in case google said). But I do find it can cause issues, particularly if over-dosed / not well mixed (which is easy to do in a small tank). Same as other meds and people use these fine with bettas but I find care needs to be taken.

So that was background thinking on trying him without the melafix, etc and see if he perks up (same as us really, meds can knock us around). Hopefully that helps. Also worth checking water chemistry for ammonia just in case if you have a test kit. Water changes frequently and small amounts (same temp), to keep tank clean. Large water changes on sick fish I find risky.

You should do 1/2 dosage for bettas on both melafix and salt. I use salt constantly as a prevention medication. All of my bettas have done fine with that routine.

Back
Top Bottom