Interested in Harlequin Rasbora.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox690156

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Fluval Spec V, with 1 Albino Cory Cat, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 "Glowlight Tetras" (Hemigrammus erythrozonus), along with 2 Glass Shrimp, and am expecting to add 2 more either Red Crystal, or Red Cherry shrimp.
I have one plant in the back(which I have been unable to find the name of), which has long blade-like leaves, one moss ball, 2 shutes of Bacopa monnieri, and some Java Moss.
--
My question is if I would be able to add 1, maaaaybe 2 Harlequin Rasboras to a tank of this setup? I enjoy the way they appear, feel they would contrast well, and have heard that they can often schoal with the Tetra's.?...

Attachments

• 20140217_003835_Flint Ave.jpg
    20140217_003835_Flint Ave.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 20140217_003907_Flint Ave.jpg
    20140217_003907_Flint Ave.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 20140217_003958_Flint Ave.jpg
    20140217_003958_Flint Ave.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 190
I have a Fluval Spec V, with 1 Albino Cory Cat, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 "Glowlight Tetras" (Hemigrammus erythrozonus), along with 2 Glass Shrimp, and am expecting to add 2 more either Red Crystal, or Red Cherry shrimp. I have one plant in the back(which I have been unable to find the name of), which has long blade-like leaves, one moss ball, 2 shutes of Bacopa monnieri, and some Java Moss. -- My question is if I would be able to add 1, maaaaybe 2 Harlequin Rasboras to a tank of this setup? I enjoy the way they appear, feel they would contrast well, and have heard that they can often schoal with the Tetra's.?...

Cories, tetras, and rasboras are all fish that need to be in large groups of their species. The minimum size is generally considered 6, but the more the better. With a Fluval Spec V you might want to consider rehoming or returning the fish you have as you won't be able to fill out their schools without overstocking the tank. There are thankfully a number of nano fish that could do well in that size tank however.

Your tank is extremely pretty.

You might want to research "nano fish", there are lots of fish that are super tiny so you can have full schools of them. They would look really awesome in your tank with that lovely aquascape. Like a little school of Chili Rasboras would look so great!

I recommend celestial pearl danios and chili rasboras. Orange chela danios are cool too but they need a 10 gallon tank. How big is this tank?

If your up for a challenge, microdevario kubotai are totally worth it!
(y)

Okay; well I already have 4 small tetras in there..
But I'm also thinking about giving those to my stepmother, and getting more unique fish for it, or at least fish that are smaller, and that would fit the scenery better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You could look into scarlet badis, a betta, or a dwarf puffer. Some are harder to take care of then others. What kind of tetras are they? They probably shouldn't be in the tank.

They're small Neon Tetras. They seem to be perfectly fine, and have been in the tank for some time now.
And I don't want a puffer, because of everything I've read about how aggressive they are..
I don't really like Bettas either, due to what I've hear about compatibility issues.
But I'll look into the Scarlet Badis as well.

They're small Neon Tetras. They seem to be perfectly fine, and have been in the tank for some time now.
And I don't want a puffer, because of everything I've read about how aggressive they are..
I don't really like Bettas either, due to what I've hear about compatibility issues.
But I'll look into the Scarlet Badis as well.

Ok, then they should be fine for a bit but they will eventually need to be relocated.

Also, it is important to remember that you won't have a large community in a 5 gallon tank. You might find a small fish that you could have maybe 6 of, but it'll probably just be a solitary centerpiece fish or pair. That's why I suggested a betta or puffer. I meant it to be a betta only or puffer only tank.

Do you know how to cycle a tank? Is this your first tank?

That's what I figured.

I figured I could find a really small fish and get 4 or so of them, if not I figured I could get like 2 centerpiece fish. I heard there are 'Dwarf Gouramis', or I like those Scarlet Badis. Gotcha. Well what if I wanted to add some shrimp? Would the Gouramis, and the Badis would be okay?

Yes, I cycled it for 2 weeks, and waited for ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels to get to 0, and pH to level off, then introduced plants for a week, then everything leveled off, and was okay, then I added fish one at a time for 3 or so day apart..
I felt that was close enough to cycling it, correct, and introducing everything correctly, yes?

That's what I figured.

I figured I could find a really small fish and get 4 or so of them, if not I figured I could get like 2 centerpiece fish. I heard there are 'Dwarf Gouramis', or I like those Scarlet Badis. Gotcha. Well what if I wanted to add some shrimp? Would the Gouramis, and the Badis would be okay?

Yes, I cycled it for 2 weeks, and waited for ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels to get to 0, and pH to level off, then introduced plants for a week, then everything leveled off, and was okay, then I added fish one at a time for 3 or so day apart..
I felt that was close enough to cycling it, correct, and introducing everything correctly, yes?

In this kind of tank you could do a pair of badis but I don't think a dwarf gourami would be a good idea. I might be wrong though.

And yes, your tank is cycled if your ammonia can go from 4 ppm to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours. Did that happen to you? Did you add any ammonia to the tank, or did you just let it sit for those 2 weeks?

Gotcha.

I never added ammonia to the tank, but all my levels were 0, the gravel and filter media came from an existing tank, and the tank had ammonia levels in it at first(I can't remember what they were), and then I was told that once all my levels were real low, to start doing water changes every 3 days, not with RO water, but primed water, because I didn't want to lose my pH and all. Once my levels reached 0, I was told to introduce one fish, that is kind of hardy, and let it add ammonia, then wait for my ammonia to drop(didn't take but until mid-day of the next day), and then I added the next fish at 3 day intervals, and monitored ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate..

My main concern is that you had a nitrate reading of 0. I don't believe a tank is cycled until Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrates are showing up.
Nitrates, to me, prove the cycling is in place. Use partial water changes , with conditioned water until nitrates are below 20 (5-10) would be better before slowly stocking fish.
Good luck.

Okay.
I had nitrate levels, it's just that after I added fish, and did some RO water changes, I had 0..

Back
Top Bottom