Impulse addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thedon42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been running a 36 gallon bowfront for about 6 years. My current stocking is :

6 neon tetras
6 Harlequin rasboras
5 Cory cats ( 2 bronze, 3 pandas)
2 Panda Garras
1 hybrid molly

They are all adults with the oldest being the bronze cories at 6 years old. I had a gourami for 2 years but he recently died.

Went to the local fish breeder yesterday looking for a center piece fish and came home with a mated pair of Koi Angelfish. They are gorgeous but......Did I just overstock? Can I make this work? Not worried so much about compatability- Yes I know with the Neons but they are quite large.

So thoughts ???? :hide:

Pic of the pair

Here they are..

Attachments

• Angel fish-1.pdf
    834.9 KB · Views: 26
So I have been running a 36 gallon bowfront for about 6 years. My current stocking is :

6 neon tetras

6 Harlequin rasboras

5 Cory cats ( 2 bronze, 3 pandas)

2 Panda Garras

1 hybrid molly

They are all adults with the oldest being the bronze cories at 6 years old. I had a gourami for 2 years but he recently died.

Went to the local fish breeder yesterday looking for a center piece fish and came home with a mated pair of Koi Angelfish. They are gorgeous but......Did I just overstock? Can I make this work? Not worried so much about compatability- Yes I know with the Neons but they are quite large.

So thoughts ???? :hide:
Hello, I had a mated pair of angels in a 42gal tall. When they laid eggs they had all tank mates backed in to one corner. If any tried to swim out they we're attacked viciously removing scale's. Would have to remove eggs as soon as they spawned. Not saying this will happen(every tank different). Just a heads up. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

I definitely didn't think this out... but I am able to return them at any time so I am going to monitor and see what happens. I just couldn't pass them up.

Similar to what advice was already given. Mine were in a 72G Bowfront and caused havoc. They protect their space for their babies. Can be really good parents.

Watch the fish it looked like there could be some white spots on the tail of the one fish left, and the other looked like maybe a spot towards the top of the tail too and possibly on the dorsal. Are you familiar with Ich. It could have been bubbles. Hard to know from a pic.

They could be happy in a 36G as a pair and move the other fish to a different tank.

In case of Ich, here are a couple threads in advance. Hope it isn't.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/ich-ick-white-spot-or-whatever-else-you-call-it/

UGH! I am familiar with ich but have never had fish with this . Do I need to just monitor or consider treating ? I usually am so cautious with my tank and don't want to jeopardize the others.

Also surprised as I purchased them from a reputable source.

I just inspected them closely. The one with the black mask has no white spots at all- the other has 2 small on the top of the tail.

I'd watch today for any more. Read the articles. Look at all the other fish. Make sure they don't have any spots.

They can get stressed and develope Ich. If they have a good immune system sometimes a couple spots disappear. But sometimes it's the beginning of the life cycle and then it explodes.

Perfect water as possible conditions really does help. Vacuuming the substrate can help too. The articles have the info to help.

I've usually used heat and salt. I'd check into an additional heater / where it is available if you don't already have a back up. And also aquarium salt. Or which stores have medication options.

I definitely didn't think this out... but I am able to return them at any time so I am going to monitor and see what happens. I just couldn't pass them up.

Sadly, Angelfish do not live up to their name because they can be less than Angelic. Mated pairs are worse as they are very protective of their spawning areas. If they do start harassing the other fish, you have the option of removing either the pair or the other fish or putting in a tank divider to keep the pair separated from the other fish. The stress of being harassed by the pair can lead to more than just ich on the other fish.

Even the best of stores can have an ich breakout. This is why quarantining new fish from anywhere is always a good idea. (y)

Back
Top Bottom