Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the flowerhorn, its about 2-2 1/4 inches. Next is the convict beside the flowerhorn (brief acei photo bomb).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424971251501.jpg
    1424971251501.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1424971341081.jpg
    1424971341081.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 106
A few days in and things are going great. My largest peacock male and my red zebra male had a debate about who was top dog, the peacock won and now seems to have his choice of territory. All others are doing well. The rainbow shark has really come into his own. Looking at adding a few more peacocks this weekend. I'm considering less mbuna and more passive cichlids. I would love to add a few yellow labs, a few more peacocks and maybe another intermediately aggressive Malawi of some sort.

I made some progress over the weekend. I went with a marineland penguin 350 hang on back filter. I liked that it had extra space behind the filters for additional media and I believe the twin water spout design will decrease the mid and low water agitation helping the sand problem.
I'm currently setting it up with the included 2 floss and carbon setups in the front slots, 1 seeded sponge in one rear slot and 4 oz. Of fluvial bio max in the last. I also have a 2 oz bag of their ammonia remover insert that will fit but I'm not sure if I'm using it yet.
I also stocked another juvie Acei, 1 yellow lab and 2 albino peacocks. Undecided on if the peacocks will be staying, that's up to the grumpy peacock who has seniority. I also returned the ice blue zebra who was pretty aggressive. I may be looking to sell my male red zebra as well. A local LFS said they would give me $10 in store credit for him after he survives a 48 hour quarantine. I've had him a long time but he is slightly aggressive towards pretty much everything else. Still no luck on the flower horn yet. The same LFS wasnt interested in him. They weren't familiar with them.
But I am working on cleaning up the stocking. Currently I have

1 red zebra (could rehome)
2 acei
4 peacocks (2 of which may not stay)
1 convict
1 yellow lab
1 bumblebee
1 flower horn
1 pretty large rainbow shark. I know some people may not agree with this choice but he is amazing at cleaning the bottom of the tank around tight spots with low flow. He holds his own well without really being aggressive. Most of the cichlids seem indifferent towards him.
Thanks a lot if you made it this far. Any feedback is welcome.

you're continuing of unethical fish keeping is ignorant. it's truely appalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow Ur pointless spamming of my thread is pretty ignorant. You have contributed no useful information or elaboration of your statements. If you would like to discuss in more detail what you find appalling I would be happy to hear your opinion but if you plan on making offensive blanket statements I'll just slap u on the ignore list. Your lack of ability to sensibly convey thoughts makes me doubt we will get anywhere however.

Have you tried craigslist for the flowerhorn?

Thanks, I haven't tried that. I'm not a big fan of CL but I could try that.

I only use Craigslist for selling/buying fish or reptile related items, as they typically are not going to be items full of scams or criminal activity, such as with homes, cars, jewelry, etc.

Nice deal on the tank/stand, i got that same one for $250. Although i do get bigger tank envy from time to time when i see a120 or 180 on cl :) Rock- scaping the 12" depth can be a challenge too.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, I was pretty happy with the price for a brand new tank. I was going to be spending that or more even with used tank and then getting stand and lights. Its definitely tempting to go bigger but I'm already having to change 20-25 gallons of water a week, I can only imagine changing 40-50 gallons weekly or more.. I'd have buckets everywhere.

let me elaborate, your stocking is irresponsible and I recommend rehoming much of your stock as soon as possible. I believe you were told above that your stocking would not work and you decided that you'd buy some more cichlids instead of listening to advice. I am being resonanle and even took into account maybe he accidentally, or impulsively bought some of these fish.

furthermore, ethical fish keeping is a rule here, and by purchasing more convicts you are practicing ( you earlier admitted that they are a bad mix aswell) especially before rehoming your flowerhorn. im not a cichlid expert but that's my input

let me elaborate, your stocking is irresponsible and I recommend rehoming much of your stock as soon as possible. I believe you were told above that your stocking would not work and you decided that you'd buy some more cichlids instead of listening to advice. I am being resonanle and even took into account maybe he accidentally, or impulsively bought some of these fish.

furthermore, ethical fish keeping is a rule here, and by purchasing more convicts you are practicing ( you earlier admitted that they are a bad mix aswell) especially before rehoming your flowerhorn. im not a cichlid expert but that's my input

Alright mattyfelts, thank you very much for the input and explaining your reasoning. We can go from here.

The flower horn was a huge mistake on an impulse buy. The single convict I have was as well but I'm going to try to make it work with the single convict. I'm definitely not adding convicts. I thought a few more females would be beneficial but now know better. The convict herself will be rehomed at any instance she is placed in danger.

I'm an experienced fish keeper but was pretty new to cichlids at the time of most of these fish purchases. I was under the impression they were just all aggressive and you could mix and match them. I now understand how misguided that was and am working to correct the problem. Unethical fish keeping is no intention of mine and I'm following advice.

I've currently rehomed two of the most aggressive cichlids and am working on finding a place for the rest that won't fit. The fish I purchased Saturday are in quarantine and are not housed in the 60. Maybe that cleared some confusion. Would love some more input.

Also a little update to show how much one can change in a year, initially it was intention to breed these fish. That plan has long since been aborted. My goal is simply to create a tank that I enjoy and is also comfortable for its inhabitants. The stocking issue was actually created on day one when I got juvie peacocks and mbuna with the plan to one day mix them because I saw a few guys on the net do it and thought it was OK. This stocking issue was only compounded by the convict purchase 8 months ago and the flower horn purchase 3 weeks ago. I am working to get a solution but for the 2 mbuna I have owned over a year just dropping them for adoption at the local Petco isn't an option. They deserve better. I have some leads on individuals to take the mbuna and a friends dad (ex pet store owner) is looking to get the flower horn. Fingers crossed.

Check out these beautiful albinos. Really hoping they work out. They are in quarantine for now.

Attachments

• 1425492943184.jpg
    1425492943184.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 78
  • 1425492972427.jpg
    1425492972427.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 75
I finally got a decent picture of Poseidon, My mystery peacock. Its never been a big deal to me for sure what he was although he was supposedly pure something said the LFS owner. If anyone wants to hazard a guess for fun let me know what he may be if anything.

Attachments

• 1425524221936.jpg
    1425524221936.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1425524264608.jpg
    1425524264608.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 77
Glad youre turning things around.

Peacocks and mbuna are no bueno, nevermind adding SA cichlids in the mix...

Keep up your research and keep us posted on your tank. certainly ask questions before you end up in this situation again...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad youre turning things around.

Peacocks and mbuna are no bueno, nevermind adding SA cichlids in the mix...

Keep up your research and keep us posted on your tank. certainly ask questions before you end up in this situation again...

Convicts are Central American ;) flowerhorns are hybrids of Central Americans, so no South Americans here. Just saying :)

Got the point across didnt i? Enjoy your 2 seconds of fame...

Got the point across didnt i? Enjoy your 2 seconds of fame...

Or, that convicts are not South American and there is a major difference between SA and CA, plus the "point" you "got across" has been said in this thread about a dozen times so you were just beating a dead horse that I'm pretty sure the OP already understands. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom