Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the updated shots, I know.... I doubled down on the fake saltwater decor, complete with fake anemone. I appreciate a natural rock and sand Malawi tank as much as the next guy but I unfortunately have a small fortune in fake coral structures already, I added $30 worth for a completed setup. The fake anemone looks spectacular in person by the way.

Before and after below

Attachments

• 1433123306242.jpg
    1433123306242.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 1433123324108.jpg
    1433123324108.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 1433123347315.jpg
    1433123347315.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 69
It looks awesome!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I got another electric yellow a few days ago, got him in the 60 gal tank last night. I took down the flowerhorns old tank and a brand new 20 tall is sitting there for a saltwater tank.
I got the new mbuna into the the 29 with my metriclima estherae. I originally thought this new mbuna was a red top zebra but he may be a labidochromis hongi. I'm not sure. The psuedotropheus crabro will be joining them when I can catch him. The 29 is a grow out tank for a few more months. I have the 40b already they will go to next.
My 5.5 has good plant growth but a bit of an algae problem. Ive got the lights on a 7 hour schedule now to help that.

Attachments

• 1433727273382.jpg
    1433727273382.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 1433727293258.jpg
    1433727293258.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82
  • 1433728030241.jpg
    1433728030241.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 64
Lots of neat cichlids to explore, I guess I just expected them to have a bigger presence here.

What cichlids are enjoyed here seem to be mostly new worlds, which I understand but dang, surely someone wants to talk about Africans. I understand as well my fish arent really unique but they certainly interest me. My peacock is my pride & joy (which you all may have noticed).

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks a little lighter but not sure with the lighting And everything. M pyrosontos are one of my favorites but i have a soft spot for malawi cichlids

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Typically Africans are the most popular cichlids. This forum goes through trends. Andrew McFadden, TheCommunityCichlid (although he did apisto) and Convict used to both be big African guys, but Andrew and TCC are rarely on and Convict left a long while ago. It just happens that recently it's been more new world keepers, although HUKIT, Gillie, and Mogurako have been around a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well many of the people that come here are beginners. It's probably best they didn't start with Africans and end in a bloodbath.

I used to keep those community fish too. You get bored of them after a while and want something different that not everyone has owned.

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks a little lighter but not sure with the lighting And everything. M pyrosontos are one of my favorites but i have a soft spot for malawi cichlids

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I'm just going to watch his development. That was under a very white light in that picture. Now that he has joined my Metriclima Estherae he has been staying a few shades darker.

Typically Africans are the most popular cichlids. This forum goes through trends. Andrew McFadden, TheCommunityCichlid (although he did apisto) and Convict used to both be big African guys, but Andrew and TCC are rarely on and Convict left a long while ago. It just happens that recently it's been more new world keepers, although HUKIT, Gillie, and Mogurako have been around a while.

I think we all once hooked on aquariums go through phases of wanting different things. Your always chasing that next tank. I myself have been super into the sa/ca cichlids lately due to it headlining the cichlid section lately. I'm literally forcing myself not to start one.

Hopefully more African chatter will start back up in the near future. They are really neat.

I keep Africans, just not Malawi lol i only tend to keep tanganyikan or south american

I swear I commented on this. All cichlids are cool to me, regardless of their origins. Wife has been really into blood parrots recently, and has bought two. For reasons unknown, I've been REALLY diggin' Flowerhorns too, but am holding off on any more purchases until we get moved.

Jesse

Also, my first tank when I got into the hobby was the Africans that I have now, never experienced a blood bath with them, or any deaths for that matter.

Jesse

Also, my first tank when I got into the hobby was the Africans that I have now, never experienced a blood bath with them, or any deaths for that matter.

Jesse

Yours weren't in like a 10g tank either though I bet :p

I like flowerhorns as juveniles but I cannot seem to grasp how people like that giant lump on their head. I find it unappealing. No offense to your flowerhorn TMRC. Everyone has their own taste.

Caleb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom