Intro and what I think I know so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayshine1172

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, we have recently decided that a freshwater fish tank is for us. That said, while we all love fish, none of us have ever kept an aquarium and I'm not foolish enough to waste extra money if I don't have to figuring the learning curve. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of friends who avidly keep several aquariums each but ALL of their tanks are saltwater and I am only wanting to do a freshwater (for now at least.)

I am pretty certain about the tank size I want (29 gal.) but would love suggestions on tank models and stands.

I have the tank location picked out (no direct sunlight, vibration, etc...)

I am pretty certain that I want a black substrate (wide open to suggestions)

I really like the idea of live plants but would like some input on if you guys think I am biting off too much for a beginner.

I have been researching filtration, lighting, heaters, etc...for the size tank I want for about a week but would like to hear some reviews and recommendations on makes and models.

As far as intended fish, I know I would like to have some sort of Brushy Nose Pleco and some version of a freshwater Angel (really dig the Blushing Angels and the Marble Veil Angels). I would also like to add smaller schoolers such as Green Tiger Barbs and/or Boesemani Rainbows. From what I understand, after the Nitro cycle is complete I should start with my Pleco and schoolers before adding the more aggressive Angel.

Again, completely novice to the hobby but I think I will enjoy it and would really like to get off on the right foot from the start.

Jay...

This is a great hobby and you'll always be learning. I would suggest a 40 gallon "breeder" tank if this is your first one. These are short top to bottom and fairly long. They're great for growing plants because the light is close and it's short enough to make tank work easy. It's also large enough to be very tolerant of mistakes in tank management.

Your choice of course, but keep things simple.

Have fun!

B

BBradbury....thanks for that food for thought. I hadn't considered the height vs light for the plants. A couple of quick questions...Should I buy and install the plants before or after the nitro cycle? Do you have any experience keeping freshwater Angels as tank mates with any species of Barbs successfully?

Back
Top Bottom