Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cluelessfishmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm new here. I'm actually new to forums in general so I'm learning my way around. I should have done this immediately upon setting up my tank. I don't know what I'm doing and have extremely limited support so a community makes sense. I'm almost ready to give up (pretty sure the remaining two fish are on their way out like the 2 last night) but the kids and I really love our fish. My learning started with high ammonia which I treated. Then one got ich. I tried learning about it and have treated them for a week but then learned last night the carbon filter deemed that ineffective. So I took the carbon out. My tank is cloudy, my betta and sailfin molly are having difficulty getting oxygen and I don't think I figured out in time the carbon was an issue. I don't know when to do their water change as not to further stress them. I'm realizing now this should probably be it's own thread. Please advise on that. Also, nice to be here!

Welcome! [emoji4]

First general question... was your tank cycled before adding fish? Or are you attempting to cycle with fish?

Its highly likely that you arent cycled.

Do you know anything about the nitrogen cycle or how to cycle a tank?

Are you able to test for your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)? If not, a test kit should be on your list of things to get.

If you havent cycled your tank and don't know your water parameters i would be doing a 30% water change daily until you can tell us where you are and we can advise on how to cycle.

Some info on your tank (size, planted?, water temp, how long its been running etc, anything you can think of) would be useful.

Welcome! [emoji4]

First general question... was your tank cycled before adding fish? Or are you attempting to cycle with fish?

Hi, I think I'm supposed to hit "quote" to reply. A friend who has fish tanks help me set mine up and "advised". I ran the tank first for 4 days. I found out 2 things after: I was supposed to cycle it longer (and why). After I put fish in it on the 5th day, I learned she never actually set up the filter/pump. When I took it apart, all filters were still in packaging and the part of the pump that goes into the water was still in the housing as well as the indicator light, not set up. So I fixed all that. Added beneficial bacteria. Over the course of a couple of weeks my levels were all off and It was downhill from there. Next was ich. As of this morning the last fish has died. Definitely feeling like a jerk and going to start again far slower. I have learned A LOT but still never enough I think. I'm glad to have found this group. Your comment enlightens me that this really started from the beginning.

Its highly likely that you arent cycled.

Do you know anything about the nitrogen cycle or how to cycle a tank?

Are you able to test for your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)? If not, a test kit should be on your list of things to get.

If you havent cycled your tank and don't know your water parameters i would be doing a 30% water change daily until you can tell us where you are and we can advise on how to cycle.

Some info on your tank (size, planted?, water temp, how long its been running etc, anything you can think of) would be useful.

Hi. It's sounding like you are right about it not being cycled. I came into this thread through email so saw a different comment first and replied. My tank is only 10 gallon. No live plants yet. I'm definitely unclear on ph levels and nitrates/how to level them out. When I try to read up online I go down this rabbit hole because nothing is just direct and to me it's all overwhelming. I did have to get something for ammonia previously. At that point I bought a full testing kit. I think my problem is, I didn't cycle the tank long enough, when it was cycling it really wasn't because the filters were set up by someone else and still in packaging, I put too many fish in at once (a sail fin molly, 3 mollies, and a tetra). The tetra went first which prompted me to get testing kits. The rest went this weekend/today after ineffectively treating for ich because of the carbon. So, I'm down to an empty tank, after one month. Also, my temp was preset at 76. I can't change it. I believe I'll be getting a better filter/pump set up also.

So I'll be cleaning everything and starting over. How long should I let it cycle for before introducing far less fish?

First off, empty the tank, rinse everything down, get it all re set up properly and start over.

Do you understand the nitrogen cycle? Bacteria processes ammonia into nitrite then nitrate. This bacteria has to be grown on your filter media and this process is called cycling.

How do you want to cycle the tank?

A "fish in" cycle uses fish to produce ammonia, which fuels the cycle. You control toxic ammonia and nitrite by daily testing and doing sufficient water changes to keep them at non toxic levels until your cycle establishes and your system can deal with them. You then can cut back on water changes to maintain levels of less toxic nitrate which your cycle cant process out.

A "fishless" cycle uses dosed ammonia or ammonium chloride to artificially create waste to fuel the cycle. You dose ammonia until your cycle establishes sufficiently to support your fish, then add fish. This typically takes 3 to 8 weeks. Often longer.

If you want more detailed info on how to cycle, let us know which route you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom