inverts and oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
are any inverts compatible with oscars and tinfoil barbs?... i was thinking about a lobster to go into the 150 gal with the oscars and barbs... im not going to have any plants (real or fake) just a larger stone substrate and driftwood... any thoughts would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

-Larry

I actually don't have any experience with lobsters but from what I hear they are quite the predators. I know that oscars and tinfoil barbs are both supposed to be aggressive fish but my hunch is that the lobster still might be able to make a meal out of them.

liveaquaria said lobsters wont bother fish much unless theyre small and slow... oscars and tinfoils are neither... i dont know... anybody else have any ideas?

I think it may have to do with the size of the critters. I would suggest a lobster that is at least the same size as the fish. Oscars can be really aggressive, and even my sevrum likes small shrimp. I would say to make sure that the lobster is large enough to be imposing to the fish, and they should be ok. Also remember that lobsters are really smart, and be sure that you have a tight lid on the tank, as they will easily climb out.

Well i dont have a lobster but i do have a crayfish. They are very good escape artists. As for worrying about the Oscar mine never had a problem with the Crayfish even one way bigger then it. But the Oscar will eat the Crayfish/Lobster if any slight chance is given to it. My 3" Oscar was slowly ripping the legs off my 5" crayfish every chance it got.

hmmmm... maybe ill just avoid inverts... was just a thought... would snails be okay in an oscar tank?

I had some Glass Shrimp that were ok with the Oscar. I was told when i got the Crayfish the Oscar would eat it. Ive never had snails so i have no clue about them.

Back
Top Bottom