Iodine Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think the most intelligent rule I've heard concerning aquariums so far has been that you shouldn't add trace elements that you don't test for. Well, I've heard that soft corals thrive with additions of iodine, but I have yet to see a test for iodine. Am I just unlucky in my search to find one, or do they not exist?

They do Exist.. Salifert I know makes Iodine.. I believe Darin @ captivereefs.com should be able to hook you up with one...

FWIW I would never add Iodine to my tank as really it should not be needed if you are doing regular water changes..

HTH<
James

I use Lugols Solution about once every 2 weeks.. I notice great results... I do not agree with the water change idea providing you have enough soft corals to use up the iodide fast enough...if not, then water changes are or should be sufficient.. When you have a tank full of soft corals such as Xenia, Zoos, Leathers, as well as hermits, stars, snails, etc., these all use iodide and can use it up quicker than you do water changes.. I do water changes every 2 weeks to a month and by that time, the iodine is down to undetectable levels...

I definitely recommend getting a test kit. I was surprised to find that my xenia's, star polyps, cleaner shrimp, and crabs were reducing iodine to undetectable levels despite regular water changes. I'm finding that I need to dose 1 ml every other day in my 20 gallon tank. I was nervous about dosing this level of iodine, but I'm trusting my test kit and my tank seems to be doing well.

How much and how often should Gauge add Iodine?

Mileage may vary depending on livestock, so he and anyone else should get a test kit as mentioned and then add enough to maintain levels. The product should state how much will cause "x" amount of change in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom