Is 150 watt heater too much for 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNitrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Marineland Neptune 150w heater from a couple of years ago when I had m 29 gal tank. Is it too much for the 20 long? Can I use it or should I get a smaller one?

Im not familiar with that heater, but if it is adjustable, you should be fine... i did the same thing. I had a 200w heater in a 30g, i just turned the "thermostat" to 70 and it kept the tank at a steady 76... if its a preset, you'll probably end up with hot water that just keeps getting hotter

Im not familiar with that heater, but if it is adjustable, you should be fine... i did the same thing. I had a 200w heater in a 30g, i just turned the "thermostat" to 70 and it kept the tank at a steady 76... if its a preset, you'll probably end up with hot water that just keeps getting hotter

It has an adjustable thermostat, but there's no degree #s on it. It's been keeping the water at a steady 80 degrees for the past 2 days. I turned it down a bit this afternoon and will check it tomorrow. I'm trying to get about 76-77 deg.

Id say you should be fine... id keep an eye on the temp and make sure its staying steady, but it should be fine... id say alot of people run that sized heater on 20's all the time

Back
Top Bottom