IS 260 watts enough for Red Cabomba and others etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a question for you plant gurus. If I get an 80 gallon tank that is about 22 inch tall with four inches of substrate, that would leave me around 65 gallons of water and 18 inches of water height. Will a 260 watt PC cover such a beast? (4 foot long / 80 gallon). I want to try for over 4 watts per gallon to grow some red cabomba and other high light plants and don't want to have to poney up for MH Pendants. I will inject pressurized CO2 etc. Is 4 watts per gallon enough??? And are the AH supply bright lights significantly brighter than Coralife PCs?

What about a 90 with 24 inches of gross height with 4 iches of substrate
(resulting in around twenty inches of water? Would 260 watts cover this for plants needing high intensity light. TIA

I would go with the 80 and you should be fine. In the Kasselmann book it's noted that the red Cabomba also needs very soft, salt deficient water with a pH value in the neutral to highly acid range. Intensive lighting and totally clear water. The substrate should be rich. Sounds like a real challenge. If it were me I would try and grow it in something like a 30 breeder with a 96 watt PC light. Since the 30 breeder is only 13" tall you are going to be able to get the plant very close to the light.

Back
Top Bottom