Is he doomed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my male bettas is developing a filmy coating on his body and around his gills, and even on parts of his fins. Is there anything I can do, or is he doomed?

Hi dsa -- I wouldn't say that he is doomed, but you should medicate ASAP, especially if he has a visible film on him. Without a lot of info, I would say that it's probably bacterial, just because bacterial infections are more common than fungal. Some meds that I have had good luck with are BettaMax, Kanacyn, and Jungle Fungus Clear (says it's for fungal and bacterial infections). I think in this situation, I would try the Kanacyn first.

In the meantime, we should try to find out what caused his illness. Can you post some info about the betta and his tank? Does he have tankmates, what size tank, and what are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? Does the tank have a heater or stay at a stable temperature?

He's alone in a 1.5 gallon tank at a stable temperature. I changed the water and all levels were fine. I went to the only pet store in a 50 mile radius, and the only thing they had was Jungle Fungus Clear, so that's what I bought.

add 2 teaspoons of salt to his tank it can help cure fungus and bring down stress levels also betas like there tanks a little warmer when they are sick. I wrap heating pads around my bettas tanks whenever they aren't feeling well.

I looked at my Jungle product and it is called Fungus Eliminator. I also looked at the Jungle website and it says that the Fungus Clear tabs work on fungus and bacteria-related conditions too. So it should help your betta. I would add the second dose 4 days later after a water change, like it says on the package, to make sure the infection is all gone.

Back
Top Bottom