Is it a fishy TB cyst? (sorry no pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For a history of my Praecox Rainbow's illness, check out my "Why do Rainbows turn white?" Well, my rainbow finally died. It never thrived liked the other purchased at the same time. Then its flesh became more opaque and whitish, and it had a raised sore under its pectoral fin. The flesh returned to its normal color but the sore remained. It was breathing rapidly and stopped eating. It tried to eat but couldn't swallow. After weeks of watching her wasting away, I decided to euthanize her. :cry:

I decided to do an autopsy (which I figured that I was qualified to perform since I have watched so much CSI). I started by poking at the pectoral sore with tweezers, and before I could start cutting, a small cyst popped out. It was less than a millimeter in diameter, whitish and irregularly shaped. Is this piscine tuberculosis? :uhoh:

Could be. Could not be. In order to tell for sure, you'd have to look at it under a microscope.

If you are into it, open the body up farther. TB will usually waste away the insides of the body. So, you may see extensive damage to the internal organs, cysts and knots on the liver, stomach, etc. or a black necrosis of the tissue on the inside.

I'm waiting to do further dissection until I get my Intel microscope out of whatever box it has disappeared to. Then I should have some close-up pics for y'all. I'm also considering buying a more complete dissection kit.

If you have a college or university near you, look into their supply/bookstore. I had to buy a dissection kit for some classes last semester, and the complete kit costs me only $14. Do you know the magnifications on the microscope?

I'm in the biology program at the University of Utah and will be going to the bookstore this week. My Intel microscope only goes up to 200X, but I may be able to use a real microscope at the biology department next week.

Great reference. I'll get my bro hashbaz over to take some pics. I got the microscope out too. The pectoral sore looked a lot like the first pic in the article.

Back
Top Bottom