Is it better to keep a larger tank than a small tank for beginners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

issa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently own a 5g and I only just got started on this hobby a couple months ago, but I find myself wanting to put more in it but I know that's not always good. But at the same time I might not be ready for a large tank? I was thinking maybe one day I would just work my way but but now I realize how expensive that could get. So I wanted to see what you guys think because maybe one day I can just save up for a 30-50 gallon or something instead of having a whole bunch of tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think a larger tank is easier for any dosing, more forgiving on stocking (more hiding spots) and perhaps more stable (eg temperature).

Is maintenance like cleaning-wise a lot harder or do you think in a larger tank is just over all much easier to keep?

I started with a 10 gallon then a 20, a 29 and now a 55 gallon. I absolutely think you should go with a larger tank, if you can afford it. A 29 gallon gives you much more choices of stocking and that size will be more stable as far as water parameters. If I had it to do over I might get a 40 gallon rather than a 55 because it is not so narrow front to back. The larger you go the more time it takes for the weekly water changes. But if you get a python the water changes are not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is maintenance like cleaning-wise a lot harder or do you think in a larger tank is just over all much easier to keep?

I would say start small and work your way up but most importantly, do your research first.

You need to have everything ready like test kits and a routine for changing water etc. What you plan to keep in the tank. Is the tank size suitable for your fish and are your chosen fish compatible etc?

Know what your tap water is like and if the location of the tank is suitable (excess light causing algae etc)

What are your plans? How do you envisage your tank?

We can help you get there

Depends. There is a guy I know that his weekly water changes are the size of my tank (his tank is 7ft long). However that is about all he is doing. With a high tech planted setup I'm actually doing more each week to my tank, even though smaller. So depends how complex you make it as well.

I think water parameters change more rapidly and are less forgiving in a small tank. While larger tanks give you more options for fish, stocking options are still limited in a bigger tank, as not all fish prefer similar temps, water conditions etc. Over time I've added tanks (20 longs and 29 gallons) rather than move up to larger tanks. I find it's the same amount of work to clean and maintain a 10 gallon tank as it is to clean and maintain a 29 gallon tank. My tanks are all planted, low light, so other than testing, water changes and feeding fish they don't require a lot of work.

I struggled and struggled with smaller tanks and followed the advice that 29 gallons is where it begins to get easy.

A few years later, I have upsized the 29 to a 55 and I have a 10 gallon. I have to say the 29 is the easiest I've ever kept. The 10 is actually a complete pain in the rear.

The logic is, water parameters are more stable in larger tanks, and I find this to be true.

The 29 is fairly easy for water changes too, without buying special equipment. And 29 gallon starter kits (I like the Marineland LED because of the filter) are reasonably priced.

You can also get a fair number of fish into it.

I cannot recommend highly enough getting The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by Boruchowitz. And staying here. The book balances the conflicting opinions you'll get in the forums. It has straightforward explanations for getting started, including a fish-in cycle, and lots (LOTS) of stocking schemes that are interesting assortments of fish that do well together, in a beginners tank.

That book recommends either a 29 or a 55 for beginners. If you don't buy a "Python" type water changer I'd suggest a 29.

For fish less cycling you'll have to look to the boards here.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I started with a 5 gallon we had laying around and 2 baby oscars, like 1.5" long oscars. Well one of the oscars died and the other very quickly outgrew that tank so I bought a 26 gallon. Fast forward a few more months and he's now in a 55 gallon which he stayed in till I moved out of my parents and they bought me a 60 gallon rectangular for my birthday/housewarming. Sadly he didn't weather the move well but now I've got mollies and platy's and a useless algae eater lol...

I agree that a 20 to 30 gallon tank and a few smaller fish is perfect to start with. Oscar was beautiful, but very messy and a big jerk. We've always set our tanks up, filled them, added chlorine and heavy metal neutralizers, and a good dose of that bacteria in a bottle stuff and let the tank sit for a week with the filter and heater going. Never had a huge issue with new tank syndrome. Now I'm looking to get my 5 month old son one, (don't tell my wife hehehe) he loves staring at them swimming around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being in the hobby for decades I would also say go with the bigger (20-30g) tank. Also keep in mind the size of the fish and their compatability with tank mates. A ten gallon will soon get old and small for your taste, also a bigger one gives you more stability. .. ph, temp and other readings will not fluctuate as fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Count me on the side of starting with a larger tank. In fact, I think a 20-long makes a great starter tank: more stable than 5 or 10g, easy to take care of, and you have a decent variety of fish to choose from.

If you can afford it, though, go for the 29-gallon, which will still be easy to maintain and will give you even more options.

Back
Top Bottom