Is it overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zeke1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay after two years of fish only it's time for me to go into coral. First i'm building my lights, 12 bulb t5. Is this overkill. (150 gallon tank) second i got a emperor Angel they say is not good for coral. Do I have to get rid of her.

Instead or the t5 I would look into metal halide for your tank. Prob 2 250w. They will be way cheaper then 12 t5. Also the metal halide will alow you to keep any coral you want. As for the fish I have heard they like to eat corals. idk or sure so somebody will have to chime in. But I would def reconsider the t5 lights.

5 watts per gallon max (depending on spectrum, too) 2 250w metal halides sounds perfect as above. There are a lot of good choices for fixtures, and there are some bulbs such as plusrites in the 10k-22k range (with halides, I would go no less than 14k) that cost under 20 dollars a piece.

Okay since I've already started the lighting project I have six lights on so far Is it safe to say just add two mh with this and be done.

I say go with the 8-bulb T5, it will be cheaper than MH by far. Added T5HOs are much more efficient in turning energy into light rather than heat.

Go with T5HOs however many you do

Back
Top Bottom