Is it possible to keep one german blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
25 gallon
Not set up yet but it'll probably just have a school of some species of tetra or cherry and gold barbs plus the gbr
1 male
1 female
1 male 1 female
2 males
2 females
Which combination works best?
Thankyou

In a 25g tank, you can have a pair if you would like. Since you don't seem to plan on having bottom feeders, a pair should be fine in there. 2 males would work too if you don't want to worry about breeding. 1 would work if you just want 1, but I would do a m/f pair so you can see the maximum in behaviors. :)

absolutangel04 said:
In a 25g tank, you can have a pair if you would like. Since you don't seem to plan on having bottom feeders, a pair should be fine in there. 2 males would work too if you don't want to worry about breeding. 1 would work if you just want 1, but I would do a m/f pair so you can see the maximum in behaviors. :)

Ah okay I'll go with a female and male
And im guessing any bottom feeders are a no no?
Thanks!

It is safer to skip bottom feeders like cories, but a little pleco species would probably be fine IMO. Although, if you want to try to keep fry, remember that any nocturnal fish will munch on eggs. ;)

absolutangel04 said:
It is safer to skip bottom feeders like cories, but a little pleco species would probably be fine IMO. Although, if you want to try to keep fry, remember that any nocturnal fish will munch on eggs. ;)

Awesome so a bristlenose Pleco
And okay I'm not trying to breed so I wouldn't mind them being eaten but I also find it cruel that they will keep mating and the fry get eaten
Hm what about two females? They look more flashy than males and I've read that some males get more aggressive without a female?

Well, a pleco would eat eggs, not fry. And there is never a guarantee that 2 fish will choose to pair up anyways. Though, it is likely.
As for the genders, I am not positive about this, but my experience with Bolivians has been that 2 males get along worlds better than 2 females. Not sure if gbr are the same or not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in there.

absolutangel04 said:
Well, a pleco would eat eggs, not fry. And there is never a guarantee that 2 fish will choose to pair up anyways. Though, it is likely.
As for the genders, I am not positive about this, but my experience with Bolivians has been that 2 males get along worlds better than 2 females. Not sure if gbr are the same or not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in there.

Oh ok I'm sure it's pretty much the same I'll get a male and female and hope for the best
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom