is making a pond as easy as i think it is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotcholi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking all I need is to dig a big hole, buy liner, water pump, and bio-filter with UV. Is that all?

BTW, one more question on the side. FOr the liner, must i get one piece big enough for the size of the hole right? Like for a really big hole, then it requires a really big sheet of liner right? You can't just use 2 small pieces because of water leaking problem right? Thx guys.

While making a pond is relatively easy, there is a fair amount of work involved.
First off, what part of california. If you are in a warm part 2' should be plenty, if you are in a colder part where it freezes I would suggest at least 3-4' at the deepest part.

Second, make sure you line your hole with sand or something like old carpet padding to give it a cushion.

Third, UV is not necessary I don't think. I don't have one and everything is fine. Make sure you have plenty of oxygenating plants, anacharis, and some nice floaters with a good root structure, lettuce and hyacinth, and your pond should stay nice and clear.

Fourth, as far as biofilter, what size pond would help me answer you on this. My first pond is like 700 gallons so what we did was buy a filter box at the Home Depot with our pump. It was just a box for the pump to sit it with a bunch of bioballs. THere wasa sponge on top to filter larger particles and algae. Such a box could probably be done cheaper DIY. My larger pond has no such filter, but still is fine.

So please post back with your climate, what size your pond will be, and perhaps what you want to keep and we can give you some better info.

hey wow thanks Roger. That's a lot of good helpful info there!
I'm in Sacramento. It's not that cold (50F min) and summer is pretty hot(around 110 max). I'm thinking around 1000-1500 gal pond and definately KOI. Thx a lot for your help.

oh yeah, i forgot to ask something that really baffle me. How do you power the pump? I'm thinking using an extension cord hook it from the house to the pump site but wouldn't it be too risky of electric shock and all that bad stuffs when it exposes to the environment like rain, moisture, and all that stuffs? How did you guys solve that problem? Thx a lot.

oh yeah forgot one more thing: why do we need to cushion with sand? Isn't the dirt in the ground is soft enough? You mean it can rip the liner? Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. I am such a newbie. :mrgreen:

The reason you need to cushion with sand(or carpet) is to protect your liner from roots or other sharp objects that you may not fine.

Also~
If you plan on keeping koi, I'd highly suggest you add a bottom drain to your pond. This helps remove gung from the bottom of your pond. Also~ I'd stear clear from rocks on the bottom too.
I just removed all mine this fall and now I'm "bare bottom"
Easier to clean and healthier for your fish.
I wish 3 years ago I'd known what I know now!!
You'll also need a GFI hookup near your pond. NO extention cords.
Submersible pumps are much more to run than an out of pond pump too.

A GFI is a Ground Fault Interrupter.
It's an outlet of its own but will turn off if water or anything gets in the outlets.
You can hook up another outlet for the pond from a "main" outlet near your house or garage. If you're unsure, you can always call an electrition.
When ponding, you'll need outlets by your pond to hook up pumps/UV's and so forth. Extention cords are not a good choice.

Hey there...was just browsing over here; as ponds are one of my
specialties.

Wanted to compliment Roger and Pondmom on some nice info passed on
there!!

One aspect not discussed much though, was will you have any features
installed; like waterfalls, fountains, etc??? If so, you must consider
those factors (particularly head height....i.e. how high you need to lift the
water) into what size of a pump you will need.

Proper aeration as well as water circulation should always be a key
factor in planning out the location and types of equipment selected.

Take care all

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom