Is my angel getting to big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting to wonder as hes growing pretty rapidly. We know to rehome him eventually but is it time already? Its a 30 gallon, pretty well stocked but levels are always great.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426440806588.jpg
    1426440806588.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 150
Ya it looks pretty big. Many places say a 30 gallon is fine for angels but really a 50-60 gallon should be the minimum.

Kind of what we were afraid of. This is seriously like the most mellow fish and we know lightening won't strike twice

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an Angel that looks bigger than yours. I got him when he was dime sized and he's probably over 6 inches with fins. I have a 36 gal planted community tank and everyone is fine. I've had the tank and the Angel with the set up for about 4 years. The Angel just cruises around and has never shown any aggression toward all of the small fish in the tank, and all of the other fish in my tank are pretty small (rasboras, tetras, coreys, GBRs).

I think you are ok to keep him. However I would not add another big fish of its kind tho- as long as your water parameters are good and you are diligent with maintenance I don't see any reason to have to rehome him .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you are ok to keep him. However I would not add another big fish of its kind tho- as long as your water parameters are good and you are diligent with maintenance I don't see any reason to have to rehome him .

Oh I do about a 40-50% change every week.
I was more wondering if its comfortable for the fish. He seems okay but is always in ONE SPOT. He cruises around some times but we were getting worried because hes always in that corner of the tank just hovering. Prob waiting for food.

They aren't super active fish, that's for sure. Mine doesn't swim around near as much as the others, but as I said, my other fish are all smaller and more active.

Is it possible to re arrange your wood maybe he feels limited to where he can explore.. Maybe try putting it in the opposite corner see if he hovers in the same spot on the other side .. I find they like open space to swim so he may just feel a bit restricted.

He may also be gravitating to the area with the least flow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

this could be possible actually. The gourami owns the other side with the floating plants and they do not like each other. So perhaps thats the spot with least flow he likes hovering in. I was thinking of swapping out the driftwood honestly. Something more "branchy"

Back
Top Bottom