Is my Base Rock now "Live Rock"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 Years ago I used about 20 LBS of white,totally dead ocean rock as my base rock. After 2 years in an established Reef Aquarium, does it now qualify as bio-filtering Live Rock?

If so, this helps me figure out how much new live-rock I need for the next Tank.

thanks again.......

yes i'm sure its live by now. It only takes a couple months provided with an ammonia source for the bacteria to become established. After two years that is some good quality live rock.

Cool..........sounds like I am in good shape. I probably have about 120 pounds of crankiing Live Rock to go in the 120.

I`ll probably get another 40-60 Dead for the new base rock and I`m good to go.

thanks people :)

Sounds like everything is coming together. Cant wait for the pics

Thanks again---also for the Overflow link. I was thinking of just going with a HOB skimmer , decent lighting, and maybe an HOB Aquafuge for Mandarin Pods for a while (or even an in-tank fuge for that---just a plastic box, right--should be cheap as heck)---then saving up for the whole Overflow/Fuge thing and hooking that upgrade a few months down the road.

does that sound OK?

I dont see why not. It will cost more doing it twice but that`s up to you. Plenty of LR and a skimmer will do nicely and some PH`s to keep the water moving. I would buy some pods and add to the tank and maybe wait about 6 months for them to infest the tank with all that LR before I got the manderin. JMO

This might sound a fbit unky, but Can the HOB Skimmers just HOB of the sump? Couldnt I just use a longer hose to connect the skimmer intake to its pump so it could reach the sump bottom? Then I wouldnt have to buy a second skimmer........hmmmmmm---
just thinking a bit too much............

Instead of new base rock I would get some new LR for the biodiversity that comes along with it. New pods and who knows what else.

Instead of new base rock I would get some new LR for the biodiversity that comes along with it. New pods and who knows what else.

You know---You might have swung my decision. I was thinking the same thing and the LFS near me is having a 40% off sale on live rock until Labor Day.

You only live once!

thanks...............

BTW--The only live rock I ever bought was the original 80 LBS to set up my tank. Does store bought Live-Rock need to be quarentined, or can you just plop it right into an established tank?

LR needs to be cured. If your LFS had it in a holding tank for a few weeks then it might be cured. If not you`ll need to cure it. If that`s the case then why not cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. 2 birds with one stone. Read our articles on curing LR and cycling a tank.

If you keep it wet/damp for the trip home from the LFS, and if it is a relatively short trip, you can simply add it to your tank.

Mike, this is already an established tank.

Last edited:
I wouldnt have time to "cycle" the new tank----I`m doing a one day transplant. I know that the LFS Rock are all in holding tanks---and I think the system that runs through all the livestock tanks runs through the rock tanks---so it must be cured.
That means I can just "plop" it in, right?

As always , thanks for your time and replies.

Oh, I must have missed the part about a new tank.
Ask your LFS if it is cured LR, if it is, you can add it to the new tank.

Oh, I must have missed the part about a new tank.
Ask your LFS if it is cured LR, if it is, you can add it to the new tank.

Its a reef transplant---so the new tank is just the old established one with more water. I`ll be doing some "surface water" water changes directly into the new tank---so the water composition and chemistry will be pretty close to the transplantee, so to speak. Plus I`ll be using a bit of Bio-Spira just to be extra safe and stable.

Back
Top Bottom