Is my birds nest coral sick or dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this coral for a few years now. Its starting to lose its color and the points or branches are starting to bend down. I still see some of the polyps open up but there are parts of the branches that look bare. If it is sick, what can I do? Its in a spot with high water flow (almost directly infront of a return from the sump) and near the top of the tank in order to get good light.

DSC00441.jpg

Lighting:
2 150 watt 10,000K MH
2 65 watt 6,700K CF
2 65 watt actinic

The coral is at the top of the tank so its about 1 1/2 - 2 ft from the light.

Parameters:
Calcium 440
Phosphate 0
Nitrates 5-10
KH 11
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.024-1.025

I just did my weekly 20% waterchange yesterday

I wouldn't put any sps 2" from a halide bulb. That said, are you sure that's a birds nest coral? they build a calcium based skeleton that cannot bend once it's constructed. Did you just move this coral?
How old is your tank? That rock doesn't look a few years old.

Sorry for the delayed respose. The tank is several years old but I put some new LR in it aboout a week before starting this thread. So the tank is old but some of the rocks are new. As for the distance, I meant 1.5 to 2 feet away from the MH light source. I moved the coral to the bottom of the tank last week just to see what would happen and it already seems to be getting some of its color back. Nothing different in the growing pattern though (if that would be possible). I'll give it some more time and see what happens. By the way, here is another coral I've noticed is having the same type of problem. I got it about a while ago but honestly don't remember what it type of coral it is. Can anyone help ID it for me? Its the first picture.

DSC00445.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00447.jpg
    DSC00447.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 188
I would guess Seriatopora caliendrum, which is another type of birds nest. Looking at the pics I don't see a spec of coralline algae anywhere, which tells me something isn't right with your water chemistry. The process that makes coralline grow is the same process that makes corals grow. I also see what looks to be some cyano on the older rocks and that tells me you have a high nutrient level.

Back
Top Bottom