Is my LFS insane? MT Snails.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I called to see if they carry any Trumpet Snails.. He said why? I simply stated I wanted some to help turn over my sand and to maybe clean some algea out of the tank.. This guy has been in the business for over 30 years.. And he says, I really hope you aren't using sand in a freshwater tank.. That's unheard of now a days.. You really need to get some gravel in there.. He goes on about diatoms, and anerobic issues.. I simply stated I knew of all those issues and am running approx. 1/2" of sand in my tank, and I would like the trumpet snails to help by crawling through the sand.. He said, they would be of no help and I need to change the substrate immediately.. I got off the phone amazed..

Am I crazy? :)

yes you are crazy.................

just joking.... often stores really have no clue more so whats going on now days. he is right about anaerobic bacteria but the mts helps that. i still would mix it up.

Totally crazy............ ;)

Some times the "old timers" are to stubborn to listen to reason. Of course, I'm sure he was trying to get you to the store to invest in some rocks.. FWIW, I think that sand is becoming more popular as a substrate, especially in planted tanks because of the price.

the sand isnt deep enough to create dead spots really. water usually penetrates sand about 2" below the surface of the sand. I got MTS, where are you at? 4.95 to cover shipping USPS priority, I dont charge for them as I got them free myself.

PM me if you are interested, I can ship tomorrow and have paypal.

Totally crazy............ ;)

Some times the "old timers" are to stubborn to listen to reason. Of course, I'm sure he was trying to get you to the store to invest in some rocks.. FWIW, I think that sand is becoming more popular as a substrate, especially in planted tanks because of the price.

Not always price, only cheap sand is cheap ie PFS and Playsand, I use caribsea sand and thats the same price as flourite about 20 bucks a bag for not even 20 pounds.

I think in planted tanks people are realizing that sand is pulverized rock which contain minerals and I can certainly say my plants are growing better in my sand bottom tank then they are in my flourite bottom tank.

Heck I still use UGF plates.

:silly: He was trying to make a sale for some clown puke aquarium gravel I bet, or maybe some Christmas colored gravel. After Christmas they will have to pick out all the green gravel for St. Patrick's day and sell the red gravel for Valentines day.

Ugg i want MTS so bad but the pet store employees always scare me away from them because they breed so easy. Are they really worth it?

I really think they are worth it. The only way they breed to fast is if they are over fed. A good indication you over feed. If I see mine out during the day I know there is a problem with my water without me even testing it and then I start testing to find out what is going on.b

the good thing about mts is that even if they do multiply, you'll barely ever see them. i have probably 1000+ just because i intentionally overfeed to get more of them (wierd right?) but i want some in every tank, as i have pfs in every tank, so im trying to get some big enough to not fit in the mouths of my mbuna.

MFD I got some giant ones, around 1.25" long.

They are worth it even when overpopulated due to the job they do, they serve a true purpose in aquariums especially planted ones.

I don't think I'll ever go back to gravel. Sand is awesome.

I love my MTS. When the food hits the tank, the sand comes alive. It's amazing to watch all the snails come to the top.

I have about 4" of play sand in my tank and I haven't had any anaerobic pockets since I added MTS. They will breed if you overfeed. I started with one snail, literally one, and now I have thousands. They do a wonderful job of keeping the sand clean.

Back
Top Bottom