Is my male molly displaying to the female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggerfishfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a male and female molly. She got quite aggressive over algae tablets earlier this week. Both seem to gobble up flakes very quickly.

I have a 19L fluval chi with a plant basket in the middle. The male keeps going side on to the basket and flicking himself off it sideways or swimming towards it and "backflipping" off/away from it. They seem to be swimming together in sync up and down (top to bottom) the tank and then swimming separate.

So, is my male displaying for her to mate??

Male mollies don't really display they just go around impregnating every female they can get close to. They don't really court the females.

I would check water perimeters what you are describing might be flashing (scraping there sides and backs against things because there skin is irritated. usually a sign things are going to get bad if WC isn't done immediately.

Mollies are much too large to be kept in a 5g tank. I addressed this in more detail in your other thread.

The only time my mollies acted like what you described, the kind of rubbing on objects, was when I first got my tank and knew nothing. I put them into an ammonia spike and my guess is they were trying to 'get it off'

Back
Top Bottom