Is My Nitrite To High?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sephirot

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Nitrite is at 5.0 . First time i did the test it was at 0.50. And people told me it should be at 0 Ppm , My Nitrate is at 0 Ppm.

Should i do I Little Water Change?

if you have anything living in that tank you should do a BIG water change. Whats your ammonia at? Are you using test strips or liquid test?

i have Amonia is at 0 ppm. So ill do a water change now 30%? i Have only a clown Fish and hes always in the same spot and never eats.. but ill do a water change now.

Yes, get that down as soon as possible! Your clown fish surely is suffering.

You're going to need to do large water changes (50% or greater IMO) to get that down to at least 0.5ppm, it should be 0ppm.
How long has your tank been set up? How large is it? How are you testing?

10 Gall. And Liguid Test. Had the Tank For 4 Weeks Now. The clown was doing fine till monday. He stayed there in the same spot all day and didnt eat anything. my i had The water with to much salt and they LFS told me to take some water off and add fresh water. and now im going to Make a 30% water change i quess.

I would do more than that, it sounds like that clown is really suffering.

Get the nitrites down as low as you can.

Soo ill change water till i get almost half way to the sand. should i remove the fish?

Just wondering, did your tank ever finish cycling? Or does it still have the occasional ammonia spike as the bacteria colonies struggle to keep it down.

Well i did 50 % water change now. and i need to go buy more water now. my question is should i do another test now? that i have changed 50%? and 2 weeks before i found 2 crabs at the beach on a seaweed and i put them on the tank they are doing fine you think that might cause the nitrie go up? or anything?

no that shouldn't cause it, if your tank was fully cycled it shouldn't make a difference, but it doesn't seem liek you've cycled yet and you don't have the bacteria that turns nitrites into nitrates

Well the clown just swimmed back in forth and now back at the same spot, ill take another test and see the answers.

High Range pH: 7.8
Amonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

It Looks Like The Nitrite Got Lower A Bit. I Think Thats Pretty Good. Ill Go Buy More Salt Water And Do The Other 50% And Run Another Test And See What Happens.

Have you ever had nitrates? When you set your tank up did yoy use live rock? Did you fishless cycle or buy the clown with the tank? Just trying to get a backstory so we can help you from here on out.

Back
Top Bottom