Is my platy injured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erinoid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank with 4 platies. I recently bought a blue gourami who interacted well with the others for the first week or so, but this morning I woke up to find him chasing and darting at all the other fish. He was especially terrorizing my orange male, who used to be the biggest, fastest and most aggressive fish in the tank. Although I don't know how long this was going on, (possibly all night) I removed him as quick as I could and returned him to the pet store. Now my orange male has been sitting in one place for several hours. When I fed them, I noticed that he tried to swim up for food but couldn't quite move. I did accidentally move some trees around trying to capture the gourami so worried he may be stuck, i reached down and he swam away from my hand. That tells me he can swim if he has to, but he's choosing not to, or it hurts him. I can't see any visible issues with him. Do you think he is injured or traumatized from the gourami? I hope he doesn't die! Just added some medicine for sick or injured fish and will continue for the six days. Any ideas?

erinoid said:
I have a 29 gallon tank with 4 platies. I recently bought a blue gourami who interacted well with the others for the first week or so, but this morning I woke up to find him chasing and darting at all the other fish. He was especially terrorizing my orange male, who used to be the biggest, fastest and most aggressive fish in the tank. Although I don't know how long this was going on, (possibly all night) I removed him as quick as I could and returned him to the pet store. Now my orange male has been sitting in one place for several hours. When I fed them, I noticed that he tried to swim up for food but couldn't quite move. I did accidentally move some trees around trying to capture the gourami so worried he may be stuck, i reached down and he swam away from my hand. That tells me he can swim if he has to, but he's choosing not to, or it hurts him. I can't see any visible issues with him. Do you think he is injured or traumatized from the gourami? I hope he doesn't die! Just added some medicine for sick or injured fish and will continue for the six days. Any ideas?

He might be just super stressed and trying to recover. You might want to give him some time to relax before you start medicating without needing to.

Ok well, I will just continue with a 3 day dose because it's the same stuff you can do when you bring new fish home. When I returned the Gourami I bought 3 more little baby platies. :)

Thanks for the response.

erinoid said:
Ok well, I will just continue with a 3 day dose because it's the same stuff you can do when you bring new fish home. When I returned the Gourami I bought 3 more little baby platies. :)

Thanks for the response.

That'll work :) let us know if you have any other questions!

BTW welcome to AA!!

Back
Top Bottom