Is my tank ready for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They won't interfere with the water flow in the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Don't pack it solid, but put a good amount in there. Otherwise you won't see as much benefit.

The more the plant grows, the more nitrate it removes. You won't start to see a large difference until the plant is established and a pretty good size.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I just got back from being gone for a few days and the pothos aren't dead! I'm assuming that that's a good sign haha. I have another question. When can I clean out my 25 gallons filters? They're starting to get built up with gunk. The tank just finished cycling and I don't want to make a mini cycle.

I just got back from being gone for a few days and the pothos aren't dead! I'm assuming that that's a good sign haha. I have another question. When can I clean out my 25 gallons filters? They're starting to get built up with gunk. The tank just finished cycling and I don't want to make a mini cycle.

Do a partial water change and rinse your filter in that water. No impact on your cycle.

Oh perfect. Just out of curiosity, why doesn't cleaning the filter Impact the cycle? Doesn't the bacteria and what not come off with the gunk?

Well some of it does. The bacteria is attached to the surface of the filter media. That's why you want to gently swish the filter in aquarium water until you remove all gunk. But don't scrub too hard and get it sparkling clean. Ultimately, there is a portion of the bacteria that will go away with the dirty water, we just need enough so it can start to multiply right away. Remember, the bacterial colony doubles in size every 12-14 hours, so with a good starting point like an established filter, you should be in pretty good shape.

Multiplies that fast?! That's amazing. Look at me geeking out over bacteria! ?

Well really that's quite slow. In the same time, something like e.coli multiplies 35 trillion times :)

Gee I feel I need to go clean my kitchen with all this bacteria talk. Lol

Well I've been doing water changes to try and lower the pH, but it seems to be getting higher. Great for the multis, but is it bad for my other fish in the 60 gallon? I've got angelfish, some geophagus abalios, featherfin Synodontis, African leaf fish, a paradise fish an several more... :/

Yes if they're not used to it. I thought you've had your 60 gal for some time now. Why is the pH increasing?! Sounds strange, unless you added the shells to the 60 gal too?

No, ever since I added that Kordon Amquel Plus in an attempt to "detoxify" the nitrates, the pH has gone from about 7.6 to 8.0. I've done several water changes with no luck...

Oh, I see. In my experience, using absorbers to reduce a certain nutrient (e.g. Nitrazorb, phoszorb etc that you stick in your filter or plants) is generally better than adding stuff to the water. Other than the couple of instances where I've added prime for some emergency nitrite or ammonia management, I stay away from chemicals. That said, I'd keep up with the water changes. The pH eventually has to change to whatever your well water pH is. I'd definitely stay away from the usual "recommended" ways to change pH like pH reducers, catappa leaves, peat etc. In your case, they're not good solutions.

So I'm leaving for Portland in the morning and won't be home to change the water, so what it was today is what it will be when I'm back. Will I be able to get a few more fish for my 60 gallon? Or is the 8.0 pH too high for any new fish. I'm not at all worried about getting the multis because I know that they will love the high pH :)

Well 8 by itself is not high, most fish can get used to it. My tank is 7.8 and I have all kinds of fishes. The issue is if you think your pH is going to go down to 7.6, you might want to get the new fishes after you have your tank pH stabilized. That way, they only get subjected to one pH change from the store to your tank.

That makes sense. The wierd thing is that I've been doing 3.5 gal water changes nearly every day and today I did a nearly 40% wc and the pH still seems to be a solid 8.0 still if not a little bit higher. It's definitely not going down, so I'm not sure what's up. Online, I've read that that Kordon stuff has lowered the pH, but none that have raised the pH, but my water wasn't at 8.0 until I added it to the tank...

About a month ago, I changed the way I clean my filter media. I used to just use the hose to force all the gunk out until it was pretty much new and clean. I learned that you should clean it in tank water, so I now clean it in a big 5gal bucket full of tank water. Could this result in a higher pH? I just don't know what else it could be.

Back
Top Bottom